When To Start Adding Nutes?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trapsoul, Feb 24, 2017.

1. bagseed
    coco+perlite
    floraduo series a & b
    calmag

pink sprouted plant 6 days old

blue plant 2 days old

yellow plant planted today

been keeping watered with ph 6.0 water

[​IMG]

[​IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

20170224/610fe2ec2bb5621fab29195bb2e8b976.jpg[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Your soil will have plenty of nutrition in it to feed your plants on until they are transplanted into a larger container and then use up the nutes in the new soil. As long as your plants are that rich blue/green color we associate with a healthy plant, stay away from the nute bottles. I've never used "Coco" before, but learn to let your plant tell you what it needs. No seedling needs anything other than good light and plain water....and you ONLY water your plants after they've used up the water you put in the last time. If you lift the container and feel any weight at all, it's not time to water. Most new growers kill their plants by over watering, so know right up front that letting them get almost bone dry before watering is just the standard. If the plant's not drooping because it's dry (they droop when really wet and really dry), yours isn't "too" dry. This forces the roots to search out the entire container for food and water which gets you a bigger root ball and stronger plants.

Nutes are just plant food...nothing more special or spectacular than that. Unless you know the nutritional needs of a plant, you have no idea what you're doing other than pouring chemicals in. I chose a different route. I don't use any nutes at all. My plants are fed by the soil from the time they root as clones until I pull them. We use Roots Organics Original and simply repot the plants into a slightly larger container once they use up the soil they're growing in. The new soil with the repot is a fresh supply of food and will feed for several weeks depending on the size of plant, size of container and rate of growth. Don't look to nutes to get you a large plant with fat buds. Light is responsible for that. Each plant you flower needs the absolute best/most wattage light in the proper spectrum(s) for flowering without being shaded out or crowded out by other plants. Giving each plant space for light to penetrate the canopy of the plant insures that the buds down inside the plant will develop out the way they should. Otherwise, you end up with underdeveloped buds below the canopy. It all boils down to the fact that the better lighting you have for each plant in flower (and space for them to finish), the larger harvest you'll get along with better quality buds. Like I said above, unless your plant uses up the nutrients in the soil it's growing in currently, it needs nothing other than water and good light. Your pH for a soil grow should be between 6.3 to 6.7 but keeping it a bit on the high end helps the plant to take in Magnesium and Calcium (the two nutrients it uses tons of...especially during flower). I usually keep mine around 6.7 or 6.8 Use tap water and no filtered/distilled water in your plants because there are micronutrients in tap water that the plants need and use. I see people get weird deficiencies sometimes when using filtered waters. If you're in the US, straight from the tap and pH'd works fine. We don't treat with actual chlorine here anymore and the "chloramine" they do use will not harm your plants.

Like I said above, I'm not really familiar with Coco and I've seen some comments others have made about having some problems or concerns about it, but if it's a formulated grow soil you're headed in the right direction. Before you pour anything into your plants and take the risk of burning them, make darn sure you know your plant needs it. 99% of the time, the overall coloring of the "new growth" will start to wash out to a more yellowish green when it's starting to get deficient. If it's a good color (always new growth), your plant is healthy and fine. If you'll water right and not over water, use good soil and good light...you've got 99% of the battle licked. Nutes are nowhere near as important to a soil grow as the nute makers and sellers would have you believe. If you're using a quality soil and paying ridiculous prices for it like we do, let the soil do what it's designed to do. Spend your "wishing" thinking about ways to improve your flower lighting if you want to get the most out of each plant you flower. We run 8 plants under 4 1000 watt HPS lamps on a 10 week flower cycle and are getting 3.5 to 4+ oz after harvest and cure. I'm sure that's not the greatest in the world, but it's good with me. LOL Read up (using a reliable source) on how to tend these plants and what to look for during their life span. But once you grow a couple and go through their life cycle, it'll all make more sense and start to come together in your mind. It took me a good year to figure it all out and get comfortable with what I was doing back when I started. But I didn't have the forums to go to for help and just had to figure most of it out on my own. But it's certainly not rocket science and I already had a heavy background in gardening. But the biggest difference in these plants and normal plants is these don't like their roots sitting in moisture all the time so it's really important to let them dry out between watering. Best of luck to you. TWW

• Like Like x 2
  3. I grow in coco

I don't feed 1\2 strength nutes until the leaves start yellowing a bit.
    They have enough food in the cotyledons for a while

• Like Like x 1