When to mainline a non-feminized plant?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Newbloomfield, Apr 9, 2022.

1. That’s awsome, I’m not up there in age yet, but I’m in love with the growing process, it keeps me focused on something progressive and positive, I’m going to be digging some holes here soon for some sort of cannabis clone type hedge this year, I’m enjoy the heck out of training my indoor ladies and would love to run some outside. I ran an ak47 last year that got riddled with mites and me having indoor I just said the hell with it and left it alone.. wich led to everything indoor included geting mites, then learned to fight/ beat/ prevent them, so now I’m ready to tackle it again, you got a journal I can follow?

2. I was just thinking I need to start taking weekly photos lol. Thanks for bringing that up! I will start paying attention to recording details and photographing the plants each week.
    I have been experimenting with various combinations for soil . . . I began with a mix of potting soil (that I got in bulk along with a lot of organic compost) with compost and organic fertilizer, but I wasn't happy with the results. I think the soil had a bit too much debris in it. So I got some of the expensive potting soils . . . but they seem so thin and light to me that I have been combing them with compost and some real soil (fine sandy loam) that I get from my garden. When I mix them, I use generous amounts of organic fertilizer, blood and bone meal, and lots of worm castings. The newer combination seems to be working much better.

I have built up my garden area over the years by adding old horse manure and lime, and have also added a lot of compost this spring. Rather than filling it with potatoes and tomatoes, there will be lots of cannibis there this year lol (I have some large raised beds next to my house for the veggies . . . the rules also require that the weed has to be in an enclosed inaccessible area and the orchard has an 8 foot deer fence around it with a gate that can be locked, so that meets the regulations). I still have a lot of work to do to get everything ready out there and will need to add the support systems for the plants (posts and a couple layers of netting for each plant), as I am hoping to produce some rather large plants by the end of the season.

These outdoor plants are of course photoperiod varieties . . . I am thinking that I would like to try those indoors after the summer growing season ends in the autumn. The fact that you can grow them as tall as you want and then reduce the hours of available light to trigger the flowering stage makes me think I could get some very large plants indoors, too -- probably significantly larger than the autoflowers, although of course they will take longer to grow. I suppose that is the main tradeoff.

3. well depending on when you harvest the THC levels differ but you cant make a plant more potent than its genetics allow

4. ok, thanks, that is what I thought. If you do everything right, then you can be at the top end of the range.
    I have studied the guides that tell you when to harvest based upon the trichromes, and use that advice when it comes time to harvest.

5. #25 TimJ, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    I start training my mainlines when they reach the 5th or 6th mode. Depending on plant structure. Regular seed or feminized seed doesn't matter. Your plants will show sex when they are sexually mature. I'm usually topping my last time for an 8 top mainline before they show sex. I harvest more high quality bud growing mainlines. It just adds several weeks to your vegetative growth cycle. I grow indoors,outdoors and in my greenhouse. I also grow some larger auto flowers.

6. Thanks very much!

• Like Like x 1