when to harvest? 50-70% red hairs

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jcj77d, Mar 30, 2007.

1. my buds vary on plant with 50-70% red hairs, some are 50% some are 70%+, but the trichromes are still clear. looked at them with a 60-100X microscope. what to do

2. Forget about the hairs, only go by the trichs. Peak harvest time is from when they are mostly cloudy to when they are mostly amber. Most folks wait until they are 25-50% amber and 75-50% cloudy.

3. hey what should I do my plants are pretty far prolly like 75-80 percent of the hairs are red but I dont have a microscope just a magnifying glass so im screwed....How else can I tell?

4. The hairs don't matter. Go buy a pocket microscope for 10 bucks at radio shack.

5. toastybiz is telling you true. you've come this far. don't sacrifice a major percentage of your yield, for a trip to radioshack for a really cool dopescope. you can use it for more than trichs. that baby works very well!

6. hey I cant get a dopescope I live on a farm 2 hours away from radio shack

7. Don't know what to tell you, the trichs are the way to determine harvest. Perhaps you should have anticipated this question/need and asked a few weeks ago to allow yourself time to order something. If you don't have magnification in the range of 25-75x then you don't have the tools to tell when it's ready to harvest, sorry. Lacking magnification you probably are better to go by the calendar than the color of the hairs, if you know how many days you've been flowering and if you know the published maturity timeframe for your strain.

8. ^Yeah, that'll do. It looks like they may have updated the design, mine is basically the same but doesn't have the fancy kung-fu grip indentations.

9. well, unless you don't have a car i'd say, hitchhike. it's that important. i don't know your situation, but if you can, make the trip.
    peace

10. 70% of the hairs being red means almost three quarters of the pistils are dried up.

To the OP: Check the trichomes with your microscope and...

If you want a head high, cut 'em when they're cloudy.
    If you like a stoney body high, let them get a bit amber.

Bong_Ripper21:

Buy a microscope and check the trichomes like that^^^
    BUT if your not going to buy one...You can take a rough estimate on flowering time.
    An indica you can chop after 8 weeks and it'll still get you ripped.
    A sativa you should wait at least ten weeks, if not 12 weeks.
    This method is fast and loose so a microscope is worth looking into if you've put a lot of effort into this. If you haven't, then just guess.

11. radio shack has a 60-100x microscope for 10$

12. all the lot of you chat s*h*i*t

13. listen, if your hairs turn brown or 100% red, then your done. Tiches will turn milky or cloudy during drying. If you leave em on theyll turn amber.