When to clone

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by mrcheezle, Aug 16, 2006.

1. I have a plant that is a bit short but is on its 5th node. Is it to early to clone the lil guy? I dont want to kill him.

2. Im not an expert nor have I grown a full plant from seed to maturity without fuckin up but I heard the best time to clone is when you see preflowers or and always take from the bottom P.S only take clones from the females :p lol

3. cheezie,

Nothing wrong with a short plant. For what it's worth of the last group of plants I started, out of the 3 started 2 grew pretty fast with the 3rd staying rather short and compact much like the one you have posted pictures of. That was the plant that ended up being the only female out of the group. I would give it alittle more time and start doing some LST on it so it starts growing it side branches and then cut them for your clones only after you have sexed the plant. No sence in wasting time and effort on male plants after all.

4. cheezie,

This picture will give you an idea of what LST can do for you. The plant labled "No LST" was the one that grew very short and stumpy with it's nodes very close to one another. This picture was around 20 days old. After this picture I did LST it as well and it responded by sending out side branches within just a couple of days. Also let me note the all of these plants where started from day one growing in MIRCLE GROW TIME RELEASE soil.

5. Opps.. I guess I need to post them huh!

Attached Files:

6. nice job, i heard a lot of opinions about time release soil, wasnt sure what to believe....but it looks like its ok.

7. hey Bunz what week you usually start LST I would say week two right after translplanting right or wrong

8. your suppost to clone the day your plant leave vegging and enters the flowering stage. if you clone 2-3 weeks into flowering the clone wont make it.

9. Disagree with that. For best results clone early, when the mother is still exhibiting vigorous vegetative growth. I don´t clone that often, but when I do it is immediately after I have identified the mother plant as being female.

10. I started LST'ing these plants right around 2 weeks I guess. Once their in their final pots start doing it. Heck as long as they are on their second node noreason you can't start in smaller pots. Just retie them ifyou move them after that. As for cloning I cut a couple of clones off my female plant two weeks into flowering. The clones had no problem taking root and adjusting to more lighting.