When Should I Remove My Seedling From The Propagator?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by demifuror, Jun 16, 2014.

1. hi guys.

i germinated my seed in wet tissue paper between two plates, and after 3 days it had a pretty large root! (i was amazed! lol)

i moved the seed into my propagator on the third day, with a cfl on it 24/7

after 24 hours, my seedling had sprouted, with 4 small leaves (again, i was totally stunned at how fast it grew, i checked it before i went to bed, there was nothing, the next morning, boom!)

it has now been in for ~54 hours, but i haven't noticed much of an increase in growth since it first shot out of the ground.

this has me wondering how long i should keep the seedling in the propagator for? i mean, i don't think i should move it just yet, but with the decrease in growth rate, it has me wondering just how big seedlings can get?

i've attached a photo so you can check it out for yourself to better your judgement

i've also been opening the vents on the propagator a little bit every day - current readings on my monitor are:

25.6 degrees centigrade
    87% humidity

the humidity hasn't went down since i first put her in - this probably due to the fact i have my propagator in a closed cupboard. should i move her out into an open room?

let me know what you guys think, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Attached Files:

2. sorry if i'm coming across as impatient, i'm just a little worried that i might kill my seedling if i leave it in the propagator too long

i've read that people remove their seedlings from the propagator when they have a sufficient root network - does that mean when the roots are poking out at the bottom?

do you remove the mesh around the soil before potting it? or are the roots strong enough to break through?

3. put the whole peat pellet in to a bigger pot and let it grow.  bury some of the stem to make the plant shorter while you are at it.

4. woah really? just to double check - i haven't seen if the roots are coming out the bottom yet, i was just typing out loud if that might be a sign to move it into the pot

are you saying i should move it into the pot based on my pics? and i just leave the mesh on the pellet?

5. so after 4 days, there are roots poking out the side of my soil pellet, and a number of roots have emerged at the bottom

going to move it into the big pot tonight or tomorrow :D

6. @[member="snoopdog6502"] sorry to be going back and forth on this, but i just want to be 100% before transplanting, in case it somehow kills my seedling

i'm growing dutch haze, which is mostly sativa afaik. the seedling sprouted after less than a day in the propagator, and it has 6 leaves now (4 jaggy edged ones, and 2 rounded ones underneath). the seedling is almost touching the top of my propagator, so there isn't much vertical room for it to grow any further. the roots are coming out of the side and bottom of the pellet now, and the ones on the bottom even have his weird fuzz on them, like loads of fine hairs. in total however, it's only been in the propagator 5 days. the reason i am so torn on transplanting is because everywhere i've read says to leave it in the propagator for 1-2 weeks.

given the current status of my seedling, do you think it's ready to be transplanted?

my main set up uses an led light system - is this good enough for the seedling to grow, or does it need cfl for a week or two after transplanting?

i'm really sorry to bug you, i just don't want to have got this far and then moved the seedling too early. although, i am all for moving it asap, as i am on a tight enough schedule as is! :)

7. oh no, today i checked on my seedling, and each leaf has a small brown spot

i lifted it, and looked at the roots, they seem to have shrunken - there was definitley more hairs etc

has my seedling died already??

i gave it some water, as i hadnt watered it in a few days out of fear of over watering

maybe it will recover?