When should I change HPS bulbs?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by KyHomeGrown, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Hello, I have a 400w HPS thats rated for 24,000 hours life, Ive only used it for about 9 months, 12hrs a day. Not that its getting bad or anything its still bright but when should I think about replacing it? I know Im no where near the 24,000 hrs but I also know that every day I lose a bit of light strength vs a new bulb, so when does it get to the point that I just need a new bulb?

Any ideas?

Thanks guys, its been a great first year indoor growing, I have all you to thank for my success, some failures too but thats my fault but over all I have supported my medical needs pretty well, only having to seek out supply this last month due to bad timing, its still a victory to me. Thank you all here at GC!

2. i also use hps only for flower so i do 2 grows then throw it away.some people renew after only 1 grow

3. Should be changed every 2 to 3 crops! As soon as you transplant your plant into a 8'' pot you should veg them for 4 to 5 in 18h/6h with a hps. Then what I do is 30 hours of darkness and then I put them into flowering ;)

4. Cool this is my fourth set of plants set under this bulb, seems to be fine but I will go ahead and order another so i can replace it ASAP! Thanks a lot.