When potting up should i fertilize?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Celbrise808, Nov 14, 2018.

1. i have my 2nd grow in solo cups and in maybe 1-2 weeks i need to pot up but i am wondering if im using good soil will i need to fertilize or do i just give it 3-4 weeks before starting to fertilize?

also is it okay to fertilize with "fox farm big bloom" after potting up? it says it's okay to feed to seedlings but wondering if it will do more harm then good?

2. If youre going to do that, you may as well throw the bottles out and go with your own made soil. Its very easy, cheap and gives superior results and all you have to do is water with normal water. I have a recipe in my current journal. The link to it is at the bottom of this post.

Nutrients arent needed for seedlings until 3 or so weeks in at which point you should start with 1/4th strength nutes and work it up over a period of feedings.

3. No: as the pot up soil has ample nutes

depending on the soil type for many weeks

good luck

• Like Like x 2
  4. the problem with that is i live in Hawaii. more then likely it is just easier for me to obtain and cheaper to buy pre made versus making my own. not a whole lot of variety when it comes to gardening here and i rather not purchase things online due to the amount of time and cost of shipping it takes. on another note im stretched on cash right now it's simply just cheaper for me to purchase pre made mixes right now. i already have nutes as well

eventually i do want to make my own soil mixes probably will save that when im not broke. maybe by this summers grow i can try it out

5. thanks i was unsure as i never really pot up just go from seed to final pot so never really have to deal with this issue usually my plants end up dead by the time they are ready to pot up lol

6. try using cheapo 'rapid rooters' they are a blast to easy growing

no perlite try lava rock or pumice crushed to your soil ensure its salt free by washing it

only be careful of adding moss and other water holding stuff..as it will hold nutes too

cheers/

7. Options .
    If you use nutrient enriched Compost ( AKA Soil less soil ) like Fox farm Ocean compost then normally the compost doesn't need any nutrients added for X amount of time ,, you can not give a shit and add nutrients or no nutrients until you notice a issue .
    You can do soil samples and test them to know when or when not to add Nutrients to either the compost or using soil .
    You can grow in a DWC system with RO water ( Striped water no minerals no nutrients ) , just the PH level is important .
    Then add everything to the RO water MJ plants need s , and at that time you know exactly what is in your grow medium because your the one who is in control of what gets added and what doesn't .

Knowledge of what Nutrients and minerals that is in your grow medium may not be important depending on the Nutrient and mineral and PH levels .
    On the other hand if those Nutrient and mineral levels and PH levels are to low or high then you will have no choice but to know what is in your grow medium and the PH level .

Personally I prefer Hydroponic/DWC/Aeroponic systems .
    I start off with filtered 6.2 PH water and add everything the plants need .

I wouldn't add any nutrients to virgin compost, but at the same time you have no idea what the mineral levels are and the compost could be lacking in certain important minerals needed for growing killer weed .
    My best advice is find a successful grower near you that is willing to help you and advise you .
    Li9ghting can make or break a new grower, your energy bill can be out of sight using HPS lamps .
    At the same time Quality LED lighting can be a education in its self .
    I suggest only buy the Samsung Quantum Boards .

Best of luck .

8. im planing to use Roots Organic soil says it has worm casting, bat guano, and other stuff as well. i wanted to try and feed fox farm big bloom which says i can to seedlings on the bottle on the soil build in their feeding schedule. it's basically i believe worm castings, bat guano, some more minerals, and maybe kelp as well.

right now i think it's overkill though since my seedlings are still small but when i pot up idk. im not even entirely sure but to me this soil feels a lot better then ffof. might be because i started them off in solo cups instead of 5gals so it's drying up quicker but we will see. alreayd on my 2nd watering since starting.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 Rezerg, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018

Last time i was there, there were plenty of home depots that carried most if not all the ingredients needed. I remember for certain, there was a garden store that had them all. As for price, one 20 gal pots worth of enough amendments to last a year should only cost 15 bucks max. I havent been in a few years but im sure there are still garden stores all over the area. Amendments are among the cheapest thing you can use other than getting them for free.

Not to mention that your current grow is only missing a few things to not need nutrients from a bottle at all. Actually using bottled nutrients and amendments like youve mentioned above can have detrimental effects as well. An excess in salts usually always occurs, killing what you put in already.
    By using both, youre wasting a bit of change already.

In my current area, ive bought 100 bucks worth and it should last me growing about 5 plants a year for a good 10 years. A small introduction in my journals illistrates how.

10. the amendments prolly easy to find i see them at city mill which is basically like a hardware store but smaller version. really depends what your looking for but for me cost is still the issue. just started new job and have $3 in my bank overall im sure it's worth the money if you continue to garden but for now i just need a quick pick me up type thing.

i think i get paid next week not sure. was planning to spend the money on seeds for summer grow though