when it's legalized..

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by juta107, Oct 13, 2010.

1. im completely for legalization but ill be sad to lose the pot-smoking community. i dont think there will be that bond anymore when you realize that someone else smokes too and all you talk about bud for the next few hours, it might just become common-place and no longer anything that brings people together.

2. Why wouldn't you still be able to do that?

3. Because it would be like ciggs and beer TONS of people will do it. i know what you mean op even my mom says " shit when its legal ill the first person to buy it". lol

4. yeah like when they made wine legal, all those winos started drifting apart.

and every time they saw a grape, they cried

5. As long as it removes that 'cool' stigma that cigs used to have Ill be happy

6. This. I was at a party the other night and some local high school kids showed up, well my buddies and i were toking in the back and one of them comes over thinking we are smoking cigs. He asked to get one and none of us smoke, so then he asked to hit the blunt instead and i said ya. 10 minutes later i go inside and he is on the phone with someone and i hear "ya man i just smoked weed! I am soooo high dude! But don't tell my parents cuz i don't wanna get in trouble" :rolleyes::devious:. No lie, just busted up laughing right there, last time i smoke out any high schoolers.

7. Well if you think about it, TONS of people smoke already...its not like people are going to just start smoking just because its legal.

Plus think about all the people that won't be in jail because of pot related charges, I think that outweighs what you think is "losing the community." You and your buds are still gonna get together and smoke, it will still bring people together. Smoking with some random person is still gonna be fun, think about it.

8. stuff like that is annoying. so is when people say they "smoke weed" when they've only tried it a few times. im glad to be out of high school though and now i dont really come across either of these things :cool:

9. its gonna be similar to alcohol i imagine. however maybe more taboo because of its ecent legalization.

10. I think if anything, smoking circles will grow larger.

What you're talking about sounds like the fact that teenagers who smoke weed tend to band together.

I think it's different in adult life. Almost every adult I know has smoked (Save a few weirdo's), and most of them don't do it routinely now-a-days, just recreational. A lot of times when I hang out with people on say....a Friday night barbecue, most everyone smokes, but generally I being the pot head have had to provide it. Being legal.....events like this might take place more often.

When it's legal it will just be more casual, more frequent, and more open. Instead of the average household offering a visitor a beer, they might instead offer them a bowl.

As far as teenagers though, it will still be illegal for you guys (Until 21 most likely), so teens who band together for smoking purposes will 1) Still have to do so, but 2) Probably have simpler access to it.

Weed is different than alcohol too. As an adult, I wouldn't generally want my son/daughter drinking, because well....drinking leads to huge life mistakes. But if say...I caught my 16 year old smoking a joint.....so long as they kept school and shit up to standard....I likely wouldn't care too much. Ie.....instead of dad letting their son try a "beer" they might just let them try a "joint" instead.

I do think if it's legalized it will limit a teens ability to get it, but even legalization won't stop second hand sales. Just instead of buying it through a network of drug dealers, it will be purchased through a network of legal sources, then sold underage. Personally...if I had a son/daughter, I would rather them smoke regulated weed that I know is safe...than to deal with street dealers.....especially in more ghetto communities, heh.

Then again, I intend to grow, so I'll probably be my kids supplier. I'll make them buy it though, with their allowance.......and their allowance will depend on their age/grades/chores, etc. I fully know that's going to be illegal :) But I'd rather them get it off me, than off some unreliable source, and it requires they live a good life in order to get it.

Perhaps that's wrong...and I know in a court of law it would be wrong....but I don't think it would be too bad of a parenting strategy. Though......the age I'd allow that depends entirely on their performance, maturity, etc.

11. I think alot of people might. I mean think of the people who will try it since its avaible? Prety much everyone will and some might keep doing it. Also if its legal mabey there wont be any more propaganda for people to believe and everyone would start smoking?

12. I don't understand the reasoning behind this. It's already available to almost everyone that wants to get it. If heroin was legalized tomorrow, would you start shooting up? If gay marriage was legalized, would you get married to a dude?

13. Wow thats a really good way to get people to look at it.

14. Well, IMO some of the fun of it is because it's ILLEGAL. I mean, it just adds that thrill, I suppose.

But when it's legalized I see the smoking community shooting way up, and maybe a little less drama. :laughing:

15. Most people dont smoke because its bad. Once all the propaganda stops a lot of people will start smoking. At least occasionally.

16. Honestly, weed being illegal is the LAST thing on my mind when Im smoking.
    Sometimes I have to remind myself, oh shit, this is illegal, better be more careful-I could get in serious trouble.

17. I agree with the OP. I was thinking about this the other day, yes there will be less of a connection between pot smokers but on the other hand, as someone said earlier, the goods outweigh the bads. The idea of being able to walk down to the corner store and pick up all the bud I want is too enticing.

18. I think right now as it is, there's a lot of rebelliousness that still goes into smoking weed. Its not really a "cool" factor, but kind of that "fight the man!" type attitude. Every weed smoker knows that every other weed smoker is putting themselves on the line, so you go out of your way to be generous if you got it, and appreciative if you don't.

If its legal, there could be slightly less of that connection. "oh, you bought this at a store. Me too. I'll smoke mine and you can smoke yours I guess".

I have a feeling there will be a lot of the "old stoners" left after legalization, but slowly over time the "new stoners" will come in and the "old ways" of smoking will start to die.

Its up to us "old stoners" to keep the faith alive!:smoke:

Not that I know exactly what a "new stoner" will act like. They could still be cool. Who knows?:p

19. Do people really believe this? Since when did making something illegal ever stop people from doing it. If that was the case we wouldn't need prisons. If murder was made legal would you go out killing people? I would hope not.

I'm sure there are a few weirdos that don't smoke for the sole reason of it being illegal. But that number is very low. The argument could also be made that a number of people smoke for the sole reason that the plant is indeed ILLEGAL. Some people get off on doing something just because it is taboo. Thus if made legal these people would most likely stop, or not start in the first place.

20. It won't that big a deal. Not as much as many think it will be.

There will be an increase in use initially. The curiosity factor of it will pretty much insure that. But that will level off. It won't be advertised on TV or print the way tobacco was in order to increase the market.

It will just become another option for those that want help relaxing.

The problem is, there's no social memory of use the way there was when alcohol prohibition ended. The constructs were there. Bars, liquor stores, portable beer etc. People went back to what they did before prohibition after repeal.

Now there are no smoking laws everywhere. So you won't have people lighting up in public establishments. Maybe vaporizing or edibles, but it probably won't be a huge market.

The difference will come in the availability of other products using cannabis as a raw material. From medications to fiber, paper, nutritionals, snack foods, oils etc. This is where the real difference from re-legalization lies.

One use will have a mild impact on some of society at large, no impact at all on most. But the other 25,000 uses will have a major impact on everyone.