When is this thing gonna be ready? pics

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Pogre, Feb 20, 2013.

1. #1 Pogre, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2013
    I read all of the stickies and have done a ton of googling. Conflicting information and a long period of flowering are confusing me.

I changed the light cycle to flowering 13 weeks ago. The strain is Hawaiian Snow. A sativa. CFL grow, indoors, FFOF soil with additional perlite, GO nute kit and ph'd r/o water.

I haven't seen any amber trichomes yet, but they're almost all cloudy, there a lot of them and have been for at least two or three weeks. Almost all of the pistils had turned brown until a couple of days ago. I appear to have new leaf pistil growth in the buds, which is great, as long as it's not going back to veg on me. This is my first grow, so I have no basis for comparison.

I'm worried about the possibility of it vegging again because I don't have absolute perfect black darkness during the night cycle. It's very dark, but not perfectly dark. Most of the pistils had turned orange or brown and had receded into the buds, so I thought I was getting close to harvest time. Now I have all these new tufts of pistils nestled in with what looks like new leaf growth popping out all over the larger buds. I'll be perfectly happy to wait another week or two to harvest if this is just a growth spurt. If not, I'm harvesting immediately if it's starting to veg again.

I took a little test bud and quick dried it. It's already VERY potent and I'm seeing at LEAST 60 grams, so it wouldn't break my heart to harvest now. If it's going through a legitimate growth spurt though, I want to let it do its thing.

*Edit: The third pic is a good example of one of the buds going almost completely brown then growing new pistils again.

Attached Files:

2. keep checking with your scope...its the best way

Some strains can be ready (trichs) when many hairs are still white/yellow.
    Some sativa strains sometimes will finish from the bottom up, so i would check those.
    Plants grow in phases/stages..growth plateaus and resumes...its not uncommon to have a new burst of growth after a seemingly idle period.
    And finally...some sativa's just take forever to mature..simple fact of life.

just keep on the scope and if timed right, you cant go wrong...

another bit of info ----> terpenes/oils (flavors ) change with growth...aka...flavors can vary at different stages of development. sometimes a slightly early plant can taste great, and be a little less couch-lock

3. #3 Pogre, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
    This one was looking like it was ready. 90% of all the pistils were brown, almost all of the thrichs are cloudy with just a few clear. No amber yet, though that's where some of the info is conflicting. From what I can tell, mostly cloudy with just a few clear is about as high potency as it gets. Amber means it's starting to degrade, right?

I was planning to harvest tomorrow, but this new growth spurt has me second guessing. Will it be followed by more trichome production? I've been giving her straight water for a week. Now I'm wondering if I should give her one or two more light feedings over the next week, then go back to straight water? I don't want to go too far and miss the window...

Sigh. I'm such a noob.

4. I got a BlackRussian that has about the the same percentage as your's 90clowdy 10clear. My understanding is that the clear ones have little to no thc so im gonna give it another week which should be 90clowdy 10 amber, It's alway's better to let it go longer as apposed to takin when the trichs aren't ready. Honestly from your pic and hair growth id say youv'e got atleast a week. Here's a pic i took of mine last nite. Nice grow man. Good Luck.

Attached Files:

5. Thank you for the reply and the pic for comparison! Looking at it, I see the same type of what looks like newer late bloom pistil growth. I'm guessing you're about a week further along than me judging from that pic.

I guess I just need to strap in for the ride and let it go for a while longer. Thanks again for the pic and advice. The trichome thing is a little confusing because it's so subjective. I've seen advice ranging from no amber at harvest to 80% amber at harvest. One of the stickies here says to ignore the trichs altiogether and go by pistil color. :confused_2: