When is it too late to plant?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Jahlovepeace, May 5, 2010.

1. I live in Central Ontario and I'm curious when is it too late to plant? I've ordered some seeds in the mail and I was hoping to have received them by now, but there has been some problems, I won't mention names unless I don't receive my seeds. Anyways they have assured me that they re-shipped them out today, so I should have them within a week or two.

Is planting near the end of May too late?

2. I would like to know the answer to your question as well! :hello:

EDIT: Good luck once you get the seeds, hope you don't have to wait til next year to start them.

3. Cannabis has two cycles:

The vegetative state, and the flowering state.

During the veg state the plant is getting lots of sunlight because the summer days are very long. Veg = Stems and leaves. The more stems and leaves your plant has the more flowers it will produce once flowering is triggered.

A plant that has been growing (vegging) for one month can be sent into flowering and will produce yield. Just not that much.

This is why in a place like Ontario you would be best starting your plants inside under artificial lights so that they get a good head start on vegging. Once placed outside they will continue to veg untill the days get shorter.

Hope this clears some stuff up. :)

4. I'm sorry I didn't make this thread but, how can you send a plant into flowering after a month?

5. Thank you very much, that actually helped me a lot. :bongin::smoke:

+rep

6. He means if I planted it late and it vegged for 2 months, and then because the days start getting short it would trigger the plant to flower.

7. Just as I said bro. If you are growing indoors then simply change from a 18 hour light 6 hour darkness to 12 hours light 12 hours dark.

This is to simulate fall and the end of summer. Making the plant think its life is coming to an end and overall starting its flowering cycle.

As for growing outdoors you cannot really change the cycle, it's up to nature and the sun to decide when your ladies are going to flower. Some say tarping and other techniques work but personally I don't know about that. Sounds pretty hard/risky not to mention if you miss one day the plant could go back to vegging.

8. If he puts em indoors, and vegs them with more hours of light per day than they would get outdoors, then they would start flowering right when you put them outdoors. A plant can be put into flowering within 5 days from sprout if you really want.

The number of flowers a plant will produce should depend how tightly grouped and plentiful the internodes are, not the number of leaves and stems. A flowering plant will also grow new leaves, branches/stems, not just flowers.

if you're gonna veg them indoors, get a MH light because the blue spectrum promotes vegitative growth, while the red spectrum (HPS/ natural sunlight) promotes flowering. Flowering starts from stress, most commonly stress in their light cycle.

How big your plant gets and how much it yields depends on the root ball size, the genetics, nutrients, light, humidity, temp, and how long you veg it.

9. #10 iMedic8, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010

Okay, So this is a much more detailed version of what I was saying. i don't know if you had to make it sound like I was wrong in what I said... But thanks... I was just trying to make it simple for someone who asked a question of this depth.. Chill out man.

What volcano said was 100% correct.
    Basically dude the longer the plant has to veg the more flowers you will have. Obviously their are many variables such as temp, humidity, and light, but since that's not what you were asking I thought I would give you the most simple answer..

And yes, if your going to veg indoors don't go from a 24/0 to a 16/8 or your plants will flower. Gradually turn it down.

10. I'm not trying to make you sound wrong, I just dont want the OP getting stuck on clearification errors. I just see a lot of ppl in this thread acting like you gotta veg for at least 2 months, and I wanna make sure they all realize that veg time can vary greatly. You're still right, i just feel like you put it into the simplest of terms.

11. :hello:to simplify,if u got a room w/ lights ..etc..start indoors& keep under 24hr light until 10 to 12 weeks before harvest time( i.e. first expected frost) in your area.this will give u the most vegative growth possible in the time allotted i also recomend u f.i.m. ..if this isnt possible just plant em as soon as u get em...:smoke::smoke:

12. Which was exactly what I was trying for. :)

But you are completely right. People think the plants need to veg for a long time. When I was 17 and still living with my parents many years ago, I grew a plant in a pot. Told them it was a "Spider plant." They knew nothing about cannabis, I vegged the thing for two weeks and then started to take it in every night at 5:30. The plant produced one colla on the main stem and that was it. However, the small bud I got off of it was great!
    (The thing smelled like a damn skunk though and it was hard as hell to hide it from the parents.)

I had many plants growing outdoors, this was merely an experiment I did. It works!!!

13. So from what im hearing its not to late right now? At least in most places across the u.s?

14. I would say well into the beginning of June depending on where you are should be sufficient to get your plants to finish before first frosts come.