When is it too late to add amendments to a mix?

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by 3Deez, May 23, 2012.

1. When is it too late to add amendments to your soil mix? I started cooking my current mix approx 3-4 weeks ago and I want to use it soon to transplant into. I used a dry gerneral purpose mix in my soil in place of bone/blood meal (my local nursery didnt stock it at the time). To supplement, I use happy frog 5-5-5...which has alot of stuff in it to include blood/bone meal. Even with this fert in my mix, I have still been having N issues in veg and I worry about P being a problem in flower cycle...so I dont have alot of confidence in my soil...I know, I know...I have alot to learn.:eek:

Anyhow, NOW my nursery has bone and blood meal on their shelf....go figure:rolleyes:...if I add it into my mix now, would I have to wait to let it cook more? Or is it okay to just continue on with my current time line? I plant ot use the mix in approx another week or so.

Thanks.
    DDD

2. You'll be fine.......

3. Hmmmmmmm

You've already added the 5-5-5, yes? So you have something in there.

For the bone meal, I would add that to the mix right now, but not full strength. Bone takes forever to break down, so you want it in there well in advance of flowering. Not a huge risk of burning anything either, if you aren't heavy handed.

The blood is different. It's hot for one thing and fairly quick (for organics). I'd leave that out of the mix and do a light top dressing with it about a week after you transplant. IF you feel you need it. I really like blood meal for a quick shot of N when needed. I use alfalfa/soy meals in my mix, but both are a little slow for a top dress. IMO

Wet

4. Thanks for the responses! I appreciate it! Anybody got info for how long it takes bone/blood meal to break down and become usable by the plant? I read an article where someone metioned using these meals as part of their compost teas? Someone also mentioned it here on GC and I inquired about it but never got an answer.:confused: