When is a word not a word?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Shogun2002, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Laffs....just checkin'.

2. ---I wasn't lashing out at all. I'm sorry if you took it that way.

That was my way of clarifying what you mean. I question it, and you come back with explinations. Which you did. This is how intelligent and civilized conversations occur....

Now that you clarified yourself a bit i understand what you were trying to say. But please, don't condescend to explain something you posted. I'd rather be ignorant of the subject than have to deal with an attitude like that.

I had teachers that did this. I had teachers that would yell because someone asked a question. The teacher automatically assumed no one was paying attention..when that wasn't the case.

It irritated me then..as it irritates me now. Sometimes the fault doesn't lie in the ones you are trying to explain things to...sometimes it lies in the fault of how it was explained.
    ---Keep that in mind.

3. yall type too fuckin much to read........

4. "It irritated me then..as it irritates me now"

It is because we single out something & treat it as distinct from other things that we get the idea of its opposite. All distinctions naturally appear as opposites. And opposites get their meaning from eachother & find their completion only thorugh eachother.

5. WestCoastStoner - "yall type too fuckin much to read........"

To know when to stop making distinctions is to be free from error.

6. I'm quite able to type as much as i like and read too...it's a talent i learned in grade school. ;-)

"It is because we single out something & treat it as distinct from other things that we get the idea of its opposite. All distinctions naturally appear as opposites. And opposites get their meaning from eachother & find their completion only thorugh eachother"---Krux`

Okay..that makes sense. That basic statement, within itself, makes sense.

Now, how are you relating that to the...let's call it the *irritant* quote?

Are you saying that since i found such a conflicting view of how the teacher acted compared with my own, that we completed one another or at the very least learned how we didn't want to be?

Or are you saying that my minds version of what was *fair* was seeing her as unfair becuase it was a completed meaning based on opposites?

7. To try to express the inexpressible leads one to make distinctions which are unreal.

When opposites supplement eachother, everything is harmonious, without compulsion each supports eachother.

8. Well, i didn't feel all that harmonious then about being an opposite to either her or the situation, and now that i think about it..i still don't.

However, when you get a complimentary opposite, amazing things happen...whatever they may be. I agree with that.

9. Each only supports eachother without compulsion you see

10. Yes, i re-did that last post...

11. The intelligent person accepts things how they are. In seeking to grasp what is, he does not devote himself to the making of distinctions which are then mistaked to be seperate existences. If something exists which cannot be wholly revealed to him with his viewpoint, he does not demand of it that it be nothing but what it seems to him. For if someone else interprets him, he does not trust that the interpretation as being equal to his existence, you see

12. Yes, i agree, that there are some things you can never change, death..and most likely taxes.

Well, there are maybe two people in this world, thus far, that i would trust to interpret me..because they would make the interpretation equal to my existance.

13. Nothing never be completely described, for such a description of the object in question would have to duplicate itself, and no name can fully express what it represents, if this is inexpressible, he who desires to know what it is as it is in and of itself, will not try to express it in words, and like i posted earlier, to try to express the inexpressible leads one to make distinctions which are unreal

14. "Nothing never be completely described, for such a description of the object in question would have to duplicate itself, and no name can fully express what it represents, if this is inexpressible, he who desires to know what it is as it is in and of itself, will not try to express it in words, and like i posted earlier, to try to express the inexpressible leads one to make distinctions which are unreal" Krux`

Okay...basically what it gets down to is this.....The two people i spoke of CAN express enough of what it means to be me ..so that i trust it. You may not agree with this..but that doesn't really matter.

I didn't say they expressed it in pure word form..i just said i trusted them to express it properly.

15. If you allow them and accept their opinion through words, then you are nothing more than what they express you as, which at best would be simple mouth noises. but ok

16. "If you allow them and accept their opinion through words, then you are nothing more than what they express you as, which at best would be simple mouth noises. but ok"--Krux`

Then i guess we do not have the same type of friends. I *know* mine, if pressed, could do the job, because they know me well..as i know them.

Do not assume that i am speaking of an aquaintance here..i'm talking about people i have known almost since birth.

Nor would I, as their friend, see anything they had to say as simple mouth noises. Now, this isn't an issue between them and I because we have trust. Loyal, earned trust, that has been tested throughout our history together.

17. "Do not assume that i am speaking of an aquaintance here..i'm talking about people i have known almost since birth."

Then do not assume fully you understand what i mean.

18. Oh come on. You realize you're just twisting around what i say and putting it back out there don't you. Not very creative really, it sounds more like double talk to me.

Basically, you threw out this statement to get someone like *me* to bite. When i did, you threw out this other amorphous statement to dazzle and make me go..*wow*.

Not happening.

And it sure seems like you are rephrasing everything i'm saying, turning it into a bastardized version of what i mean..then spitting it back out as another statment or question.

I guess it's just me though...right?

Somehow i figured you would say that..

Now, i don't really have a problem with What you are saying. I have a problem with HOW you are saying it.

In your first post....you said...", To be in the presence of that which previously could not be imagined is to be in the presence of a non-verbal awareness which has the quality of mystery to it, and to ponder such trivial issues is semi-worthless, wuold you not agree?"

You insulted everyone who decided to reply to this post by being judgmental when youre whole *style* of speaking presents you with an aire of spiritual superiority.

Second, you insulted my friends, who i DO have great confidence in, by saying .."If you allow them and accept their opinion through words, then you are nothing more than what they express you as, which at best would be simple mouth noises. but ok"

By referring to myfriends as *they* you proved you were speaking specificly about them. Then...you mentioned *simple mouth noises* in referrence to THEM....meaning that if they don't agree with you then their mouth noises don't matter? And trying to convince me of that?

Then..you say....."but, ok." As if you were saying..well...if you want to but it's not what *I* would do.

Get down off yer high horse...that difference is one thing that makes people individuals.

Now, i am probly blowing this way out of proportion..and reading between the lines way too much, i'll admit that freely.

But i've done nothing but take shit from people who think they have found *enlightenment* simply because they can find the right things to say out of a book. ANd i'm not only referring to this situation here, there are many different people from many different paths that do the same thing. It bothers me then too. But there are also genuine people who do say the same things you are saying but don't have to be so damn judgmental about it.

So pardon me if i read too much into this, but i've come to see the warning signs early...and will admit that upon occasion..*rarely*, i can be wrong.

Now, if you don't feel like pursuing this fine.....But i also want to say that even though you have managed to push my buttons...i like what you have to say inbetween all that..for the most part.
    You challenged me..so i took the challenge.

I would love to go over this belief system of yours if you can trim the flowery language down a bit and talk like you were still here on earth.

Oh, btw....For someone not of your..calibur..I'm smart enough to keep you here talking about a subject that you thought was semi-worthless.

19. damn, this is a long discussion........