When is a word not a word?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Shogun2002, Mar 13, 2004.

1. I don't really know if this is the right place to post it or not but it dosen't seem to fit in anywhere else.

Last night on shrooms we were talking about when is a word not a word? Very interesting question.

Who is anyone to say what isn't a word? Whatever comes out of our mouth is a word..it's what we make it and not what anyone else says, it's our words.

Think of the headfuck on a shroom trip on that.

2. i think that words are words if they truely have meaning, i mean there is a differace between a word and a sound, you can make up a word but it hased to mean somehting, that point of words is to communicate and understand one another. but really the meanings are different for evey one so you cant really every comunicate through words its the ideas behind those words we understand not the words themselfes

3. I dont think there is really such a thing as a word not being a word... because new words are added to the dictionary yearly, so the whole "if its not in the dictionary its not a word" is kind right. (unless your playing like scrabble or something because then there would really be no point to the game)

Also i think the use of a word is to communicate ones feelings... but then again like if your chatting with someone online and are like - a.lkdgjoainwergalkn - thats showing like bordem of lack of words to say (depending on context clues and such.

so yea im kind of contridicting myself because thats a GOOD QUESTION... and i only wish i was more stoned or trippin' to think about this more.

4. :rolleyes: get with the times. its so uncool to label 'words' anymore. duh. letters are individuals. dont letters have that right? that right to regroup with US labeling them??

5. how do you spell "L"?

6. "L" is a letter, not a word. So, the only proper way to spell it is to use itself.

7. lol its off harry hill, im just messing around. lol :p

8. Ahhh what the hell, why not?

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe. ceehiro.

9. haha! holy shit!
    thats where I got my sig from lol..
    thats too big for a sig lol apparently so Ijust took out that...!...!

10. jeez it's amazing how easy that really is to read even though you know it's all misspelled.

11. Yea, right? The first time I saw that I was amazed myself.

Ahhhhh, I didn't even notice. I just thought you were goin insane or something, lol.

12. if you can define it, it is a word

13. A word isn't a word when it's not said.

14. Thc crytal when i first started reading your post i thought you must have been drunk or high shit when you wrote it. but anyways in High school we would try to start new words for exaple we all started syaing "tits" like dude your bowl is tits. We would use it to replace cool or awesome but it never really caught on some ppl though started to use it, lol.

15. First of all, i have not read all the responses, i saw the malarkey Shogun2002 wrote and had to reply quickly, for how foolish you sound, for you make no sense. First of all, a word is a agreement, a consensus among people on its agreed upon meaning, nothing more. Now i think we can all agree on this. Language is a funny thing, and its comprised not only of words, but clauses, similies, metaphors which then lose the quality of the words themselves to conceptualize something more. You have a quote from aldous huxley, and if you were a reader you would know that on this subject he quite bluntly says "A person able to decipher their meaning properly would soon be able to dispense with the written or the spoken word altogther"

"Think of the headfuck on a shroom trip on that."
    Im sorry, must i say more? Your reasoning is very absurd and loose. You need to read up and get to know a little more about what you speak, perhaps the author you have cited in your signitaure?

To be in the presence of that which previously could not be imagined is to be in the presence of a non-verbal awareness which has the quality of mystery to it, and to ponder such trivial issues is semi-worthless, wuold you not agree?

16. If you dispense with the written or spoken word altogether..would not the metaphors, similies, and clauses vanish as well? Because they were drawn out by words. They were created by words. We wouldn't know what they were if we had not started speaking them or writing them down. So, What's left, telepathy? Sign language? Body language? Pictures on a cave wall? *although sign language is just a play on the written or spoken word so that doesn't really count as an example here.*

What is trivial to you...isn't trivial to everyone...and thank the Goddess that there is at least that difference in the world or wouldn't it be a boring place. *smile*

17. ...........dude..........u lost me........

18. lol..which dude...? *i'm a dudette..btw*

19. WeedCrawler - First of all, what do you think as telepathy? I would think of words and language as a perfect example of telepathy, my internal dictionary formulates sentences, it travels from my mouth as an acoustical pressure wave and you perceive it, match it to your own internal dictionary and it creates what we call *Meaning.. If this is not telepathy then i don't know what is.

If you had read my response thoroughly you would have seen that the concept i was getting at was the words themselves contrive into a meaning outside the realm of direct language, that is to say, the words themselves have symbolism that exceeds the objects themselves. Now if you look at this aspect of it, if you try to describe something that contains symbolism you immediately take away from the object in question, you take away some of its symbolic significance, therefore words can't fabricate what we mean. So in describing something, the other person is interpreting it, not understanding directly your meaning. This is where visual language comes into the picture, and people already operate like this to some degree such as

"i see what you mean" etc

This is also where Virtual Reality can become a tool of understanding, instead of a language that is heard and interpreted, it then becomes a language that is beheld.

Next time read what your criticizing before lashing out in compulsion. *smile*

20. talkin bout the thread starter, lol......