When is a joke funny?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by butimfeeling2022, Mar 1, 2022.

1. A joke is funny to me, if and only if:

a. When I think of it, it is not normal

(think: after I relax from emotion, what is the summary?)

b. When I feel it, it feels good

(feel: which emotions come to me?)

c. I cannot experience it the same repeated continuously, for it to remain funny (experience: …

…you have to live life to know what that means between you and the rest out of all there is)

if and only if means if a joke is funny the three above are true (this is the forward way), or if the three above are true, a joke plays out (this is the backwards way)

Let’s go the forward way. You tell me a joke, I laugh, hahaha…

If when I thought about it, it was normal, it wouldn’t surprise me…yet a successful joke always surprises me.

If when I felt it, it felt bad… it wouldn’t be a joke to me.

No matter how funny a joke is, I cannot experience the same joke repeated for it to remain funny…you know…do…something else.

Let’s go the backward way. The three above are true.

We will start with b, “when I feel it, it feels good”.

Assume I have a bag, and I put in the bad all the good experiences you can feel in life, and now…all the good experiences you can feel…are in the bag I have.

Then we add 1, when “I think it, it is not normal”.

Now I remove from the bag all the normal experiences, so that only the surprise/unknown good experiences remain…to excite you a bit.

And now we add 3, “I cannot experience it the same repeated continuously for it to remain funny”.

Now, here’s where we are…we have a bag with surprising good experiences, and you’re all excited…but you can’t experience the bag or what’s in the bag repeated continuously…so maybe…from time to time you can experience it…but you are not sure when.. and don’t look at me…as I already said to you that the way we look at it you cannot experience it the same repeated continuously all the time…isn’t it funny ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Idk. To me it seems kinda like asking why I find a girl attractive or why I like the taste of something. I'm sure there is a logical answer but I don't think it really needs one. People sometimes say that jokes are pointing out truths we don't often openly acknowledge or that it would be taboo to do so

• Like Like x 1
  3. When it hurts nobody's feelings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. A joke is funny if it's funny. Humour, like any other form of art is purely subjective and comes in many forms. Lot's of people think Monty Python is hilarious. Lot's of other people think it's stupid. Who's right and who's wrong? No one is.
    I also refuse to accept any arguments based in "political correctness" when it comes to what constitutes humour and what doesn't.
    I don't care who you are, but being a Canadian and being called a "damn snowback" years ago by a Mexican-American was hysterical, especially since it was done in the context of a joke.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Snowback lol! I never heard that one ! I was eating at a Chinese restaurant one new years eve and overheard some dick call the waiter slant eye, the waiter turned sn said
    " Fucka you round eye! Haaa, we died laughing!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. On the 'punch line' naturally

• Like Like x 2
  7. How'd I end up in the philosophical area?
    Where's the gaming section at?
    IMG_20220320_051150.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. When I laugh. Humor is subjective.

When someone finds something funny they'll laugh.

Although don't worry I find you funny man. Your a great read after work. Cheers.