Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

When I Smoke Weed My Throat Acts Weird

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by SmokingProblems420, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Bro you may not have to quit.
    I cant believe no one recommended you try a vaporizer. There is no smoke with a vaporizer only straight THC in the form of light vapor. Its actually cooling on your throat if you get a nice vape.
    I can recommend a couple
    I own a Da buddha vaporizer and an EV-2 from epic vape. Both are awesome and you can just set the temp on them so that the vapor is non irritating to your throat and still get very medicated.

Those cigs might really be your problem though man cause i got a buddy that smokes cigs a lot and when he hits my bong that mother fucker coughs for like 5 minutes straight, and im not even exaggerating. Lol

2. Its not coughing, my throat just fucks up and feels like its closing up and my breathing feels wrong. Just feels like I'm dying and usually ends in an anxiety or panic attack. I miss getting high so fucking much..

3. I have a similar thing bro. About 6 weeks ago i had joint with shit loads of crystals in it and I had a panic attack, my chest was super tight, my legs and hands were shaking and my mouth and jaw were really numb. I stopped smoking for a month after that cos i literally wasn't sure if i was gonna die too. I'm back on for a bout a week now and I nearly freaked out again when i tried it again last week. I keep doing it because I love getting high but Its definitely not the same now, feel paranoid and like I could go over the edge at any moment. (I smoked every day for about 9 months before that night).

4. Also I smoke 15 to 20 cigs a day too..

5. How are you now? I've started smoking TINY amounts of weed in joints, couple puffs at a time and my symtoms are there but miniscule and I guess ignorable if I'm doing something. Makes gaming better still... not great though. Really not sure if it's worth it. I'm hoping if I keep this up my body will get used to it or something.

6. So this literally started happening to me 2 days ago. Did you ever get an answer for why the weed was causing it?

7. I have exactly same situation with op. I have smoked actively about a year and it started recently. At first just sometimes when I smoke maybe 1/5 of the times. Last week when I smoked the pain was really intense and I thought I was gonna get completely out of breath. Felt like there was something in my throat and like the throat tightened. I took one week t break after that and quitted smoking baccy at the same time. (tobacco never game me anything similar effects)
    Today after t break I smoked just a small joint and was expecting that it couldn't hurt, but it did. The pain usually starts about 15-20min after smoking weed and lasts for 30-90minutes. I'm going to see a doctor if I don't find any solution for this. And I am also scared that I may have some dangerous disease that makes my throat hurt but it doesn't make sense because it only happens when I smoke mj. Next joint I will smoke through a cigarette filter maybe that would help.
    Note: this is definitely not the standard dry coughing throat feel after smoking. Something very different and it feels weird.
    If someone has any tips or personal experiences please post them. This is the only thread i found online about my situation.

8. like they said, stop with the cigs. i had the same problem, mixing baccy with weed. ive been tobacco free for about a month and a half, i can finally smoke weed without the horrible cough and chest pains.

9. I wouldn't necessarily blame the tobacco, you're only 19, the effect it could have had on your lungs is minor. Quitting is probably best though.
    I think the cilia/membranes in your lungs have become damaged and have been trying to repair themselves but haven't been able to yet. If you have a cough, try to cough out all the phlegm in the morning and drink lots of water throughout the day. And when you smoke maybe try opening your mouth a bit wider when you inhale to get some more air in there so the air is less hot and there's relatively less irritants in the smoke. Try drinking water when your throat closes up too.

10. To be honest I am in the same position. My throat closes out and i barley can breath or yet even swallow. I smoke off an oil rig and no cigarettes. So i really dont think it's the tobacco. I would say it feels hard on my thyroid.

11. Just wanted to chime in, because I suffer from the same and it has been going on for a while, I went to urgent care and doctors and it is stressful when you feel there is something wrong but all the doctors say they can't find anything or that is all in your head. Your answer may be to stop smoking cannabis altogether. It was very hard for me since I used it to relax from my busy long days that go from 3am to 9pm, long and stressful days. If you google "throat closing cannabis" You will see a lot of people have this issue and just like you no one can get a definitive answer. Now, I'm sure this won't apply to everyone but I found something really interesting, google the following "mild cannabis allergy" One of the first links should be an extremely well-written article by leafly with some good sources for those who care. A lot of this is just coming to light because of the growing legal use. I hope it helps, I literally signed up just to post this because I don't want people to feel frustrated like I did not beeing able to get clear answers or if it is truly your health at risk.

12. Anxiety attacks. If you took a Xanax while it was happening your throat would magically get better.

13. Old thread but I can contribute with a personal story.

I had a period of smoking spliffs excessively for over a year. Multiple every day. At one point I started to experience bloating, tight chest, sweating and mild panic attacks. Then I stopped for 3 months and decided to try weed without tobacco. Haven't had any issues since. It's either your body's way of saying "too much" or it's something with tobacco. It's very real indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Hey dude,

I have the same problem as u and it has nothing to do with the way ur smoking or any shit like that. I thought the same thing but then I ate an edible hoping my throat wouldn't close up but it did and it was terrible

15. This thread is 4 years old the guy probably doesn't even smoke anymore

16. Ya this is true man tabacco can be harsh af

17. #37 SpikeCB, Dec 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    I am having the same problem. I have been smoking for more than a year and the first time I experienced it was 2 days ago after using the bong. I hoped it would be a one time thing but felt the same, though not as intense, the next day. I am worried I will have to quit if this persists. Oh, and I don't smoke cigs.

18. So I’m having the same exact experience with smoking weed and I have never touched a cig and I don’t smoke with a Tabacco leaf blunt. I have never smoke tabacco in general. I only use bongs but I really would try the vape I get no swelling at all when using it and it satisfy my withdrawals from weed

19. After smoking Cannabis for about 20 years now this has also started to happen to me. I do not smoke tobacco at all. I rarely smoke joints & almost always use a bong. I clean my bong daily & use fresh water every time I use it. The Cannabis I smoke is high grade medical flowers & these "episodes" happen no matter what strain I smoke, so it's definitely not a quality/strain problem.

I've had anxiety for more than half my life so I'm very acquainted with it. These episodes do not start out as anxiety, but the breathing attacks do cause me to have anxiety, this never helps the situation.

The only things I can think of that might be causing this are:

1. I've had a lingering cough from some cold/virus that I had 6 months ago, maybe these attacks could be lung related?

2. I have Lyme Disease which is an inflammatory disease & also fucks with the thyroid, so maybe there actually is some swelling going on?

3. My disease has also spread to my brain causing a whole slew of neurological issues, maybe my brain is sending the wrong signals?

I love edibles & 1:1 oils, but smoking gives me instant relief, & when you're struggling daily, you need that instant relief. I don't really expect any answers, just needed to vent.

Anyway, hopefully it goes away or that I at least get to the bottom of it. In the meantime, I should purchase a dry bud vaporizer.

Hope you all are symptom free now ☺

20. Has anybody found an answer to this problem. This started happeneing to me about a year ago and ive never quit hopeing that end would eventually go away but it hasnt. Ive tried taking breaks and ive quit smoking cigs bit it has not made a difference. This is the only thing online that i have found with people with the same problem. Truly ruins smoking. The only time i dont feel it is whem i take xanax. Help!

• Friendly Friendly x 1