when/how to start next seeds? is it ok straight into a 5 gal pot?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by CF89, Jul 8, 2020.

1. were at week 5 of flowering our first grow. I think itll be done in 2-4 weeks. id like to get a head start on the next batch and have them a week or two into veg when the first ones get chopped. whats the best way to do this?

can we start them outdoor? put them in the tent on 12/12?

after its sprouted.. can we plant directly into a 5 gal smart pot or does it need to go up in size slowly for some reason?

thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Plant seeds on Friday after the new moon. They grow no matter what size container you plant them in. The small size prevents having to water a whole 5 gallons when 5 is not needed. Also 5 may take a long time to dry out. Small size may need to be watered all the time because it drys out so fast. The seed doesn't care what size. They just make rules for growers because they assume all growers are the same.
    I would not start outdoors if they are going to be indoor plants just to get a jump. Too many risks of bringing in unwanted stress. But you can start indoors quite easily under lights that wont support a whole grow until your grow space opens up. If unsure, a one gallon bag will grow a nice specimen ready for transplanting in 30 min 60 max days. But direct sowing in final pot is fine also. I have done both, growers choice. A good salesman can sell either method.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Solo cups dont take up alot of space. You using soil or coco.

• Like Like x 3
  4. If I am going direct into a large pot, which I almost always do with my autos and frequently do with photos, I cut off the top inch of a solo cup, put a slit in the side and snuggle it a half inch into the media. When you water when they are small, you can just water inside the cup and it will give them a nice area below them to drop roots without having to water the whole pot and wait for it to dry out and risk droopy leaves and slower growth. I will a lot of times leave it around the base of the trunk for a while, sometimes whole grow, and water inside it and out to make sure my plants are getting a good thorough watering through their core and not just running to the edges and out of the bags or down the sides. It all works though. Cheers

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  5. You CAN do direct if you prefer. I start in smaller cups to make sure I’m watering evenly and so I can add some extra nutes to the soil. Starting in cups I don’t have to worry about the medium being too hot for seedlings after a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 2
  6. Yeah, start those seeds anytime now. It'll take a week to germinate and then a good 3-4 weeks before they're really rooted and growing strong.

You can put them outside and you can put them in 5G pots if you want but you're gonna have to watch out for bugs when you bring them inside. You'll probably have to spray them several times.

I'd personally start them in solo cups. They take up almost no room and you can put a tiny desk lamp with a CFL over them in a corner.

• Like Like x 2
  7. awesome. good info guys. well get some started this week then in solo cups with soil. dont wanna do them too early.

why bring them inside at night? why not just let them do their thing 24/7 outside for 2-3 weeks, then into the tent to get treated like princesses? that would mean I gotta wake up at like 4-5am for sunrise to bring em back outside?

• Like Like x 1
  8. when I bought my tent... it came with a few junk 300 or 400W LED lights. those would be a nice little starting point indoors versus bring them indoors every day or what?

• Like Like x 1
  9. so, while im here asking a million dumb/beginner questions. whats the best/proper/your way to germinate these seeds?

whatever we did last time seemed to work but im wondering if theres a better more efficient way?

• Like Like x 1
  10. yes, that would be ideal, you can check the true wattage with a watt meter. Almost any light will work for the first 2 weeks and those leds will work longer than that if need be.. Run them 24/0.

• Like Like x 2
  11. I soak em a bit and use a rapid rooter.

• Like Like x 2
  12. agree with KB
    get a cup of warm water then
    soak over night in 12 hours
    if they got a small tail then put them in the rapid rooter
    i kill roots so that's the only way I know how to do them lol

if no tail, soak another 12 hours.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. I dont wait for the root, i try and get em right as the husk cracks and pop em in the rooter.

• Like Like x 2
  14. I start seeds directly in 3 gal pots outdoors sure
    It’s free and time is right what hemisphere you in
    How many plants do you have
    You could move to darkness closet etc then turn lights to 24 hours for new plants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. If @CF89 waters five or three gal to runoff starts seeds in then shouldn’t have to water for a few weeks easy peasy it’s what works for me keep it simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. I figured ill start in a solo cup and then into the 5 gal soil smart pots... ill only water a 6-10" diameter around just the plant and what I assume its roots would be... usually 1 gallon of water seems to work good for the 5 gal pots. the baby plants would get nowhere near that.

I will keep you guys updated and get them started soon!!!

• Like Like x 3
  17. With soil in a 5 gallon pot, for me,I would use less than a quart or maybe a quart for a small plant. I have used way more than needed sized pots and made it work this way but from now on I think I will start off with a 20 oz cup or fairly small pot that I will up unless I grow more autos in which I have used 3 gallon for their final pot but thinking about 5 from now on. However I'm still not sure I'll use more than 3.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1