Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

When doctors say you shouldn't smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by AdamArmy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Both my regular doctor and my psychiatrist say I should stop smoking. I do have depression and anxiety, and I am on 4 different psych meds. Advice?

2. I'd ask them why they think you should stop, if they have a legit answer then I'd listen to them.. But I'd expect them to say some bs response

3. They say it could interact with my meds

4. Don't smoke.

5. I've never really heard of weed negatively interacting with any type of medicine. But I have heard that if you do suffer from sort of mental illness or something similar that weed can exacerbate it, and make it worse. Maybe that's what your doctor meant? I dunno, but I've had this discussion with multiple doctors, obviously where I live now people are more weed friendly (I live in CA) but even home in NJ doctors never really said anything negative when I said I smoked.

6. I've had doctors make little comments, but make no mistake - you are paying those fuckers, not the other way around. I usually am polite about it, but just say something along the lines of "I appreciate the concern, but it won't stop any time soon - so let's move on".

7. -and I am on 4 different psych meds

There is your problem right there. Weed isn't going to change that fact. Don't Believe everything doctors tell you.

Edit: This isn't meant to sound rude, just brutally honest. You don't need those pills.

8. I don't mean to be rude (seriously), but pills for depression and anxiety have been proven to be very helpful...

9. You don't need to sound rude, who proved them very helpful?

Just wondering.

Oh you, the consumer . . .

The doctor? Well now that's just silly.

There is tons of research going on surrounding the SSRI group of drugs and brain development, and that goes without even mentioning what benzodiazepines and similar drugs will do to you.

Edit : Never thought I would be explaining why you shouldn't advocate pills on a forum full of stoners.

10. Before I ever smoked I asked my psychiatrist if it would be safe for me with the medications I was taking and she said, "there's no harm smoking a joint occasionally."

11. Why are people constantly trying to prove that marijuana doesn't have anti-depressive properties? If you smoke pot you shouldn't need pills for any type of depression to begin with.

12. Personally, I would like to be off my meds so that I can just smoke/vape, but keep in mind that my parents and psychiatrist don't know I smoke/vape, so they think it's important for me to stay on my anti-depression meds right now. When I live in a state that issues mmj cards and have my own insurance plan I will decide with a psychiatrist that is on MY SIDE whether or not I need to be on my meds and can just smoke/vape.

13. Cannabis doesn't effect levels of serotonin in the brain and therefore doesn't have any long term anti-depressant properties Mr. Frost if you want reasoning. Any effects it would have would be from being high and not giving a fuck, not anything that will possibly last. Yes, SSRIs have the potential to do harm but so does every other drug in the books (INCLUDING THC in some cases). They've also helped a lot of people. OP, I would trust your psychiatrist personally. I'm not saying do or don't smoke or take medication either one, but are you really going to trust some random person online (myself and each person who replied included on this) over somebody who studied and worked their ass off for years learning how your mind and body work? There is nothing wrong with a second opinion, but it should be from a Dr. as well instead of a random person. Also, TELL YOUR PSYCHIATRIST IF YOU SMOKE OR ANY OTHER FORM OF DRUGS YOU TAKE! That's sort of important.

14. m an RN, so I only offer my knowledge. If the doctor is asking you to quit smoking, it's because it's making your depression and anxiety worse. Weed has the effect of increasing whatever mood your in. If your sad, after you smoke, you still be sad and more than likely thinking about the issue more because of the high. There is no real drug interaction with weed, just sedatives and anesthesia's. maybe it's a control issue too man. Listen to the doc and maybe soon you'll be back to smoking and felling better.

15. I'd say it depends on how it reacts with you personally; take the pills but have a break from weed for a few weeks. Continue taking the pills and smoke; if your conditions get worse, weed doesn't work with your pills, so stop. If it doesn't get worse, carry on.

Doctors think they know everything but things like this can depend on the person. You need to find the things that work best for you, the doctors can't get inside your head. Good luck man.

16. #17 solarhitz, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2013
    Honestly, MY advise to you is to figure out WHY you feel anxious and depressed and go from there. Try to fix the part of your LIFE that makes you feel so badly first, because 9/10 times it's not something that MUST be treated with drugs. 5 close friends of mine have all had some kind of issue like that, and when they were put on meds, it all got worse, they all either got off or outright rebelled against the pills, and then just dealt with it their own way and became much happier over time. This has just been my experience though, if you want to keep taking those medications that's your business and none of mine, but if you're interested in some other experiences, that's mine. Marijuana CAN alter your mood some. My suggestion? Don't stop toking, find a VERY close friend, someone you can trust and confide in. Talk to them if they are willing to discuss what's bothering you, find a safe quiet place, and watch some TV and eat and just chillax. Set aside time for that. Make a whole day free so you can just hangout, do what you like to do, relax, maybe do a little exercise in a fun way, and just take a day to be stony and carefree. For MY own personal depression and manic moments, this was KEY to making the really really negative episodes go away. Now that I have some more self confidence and assurance in myself, I almost never experience those bad feelings, and when I do, I know it's okay to feel that way sometimes, and if I want to, I have people i can talk to about it who won't try to toss me into a suicide help clinic or put me on crazy meds... That's my experience, hope you can find some tidbits to help you between your anxiety and toking.

EDIT: get a MMJ card when you can, the stress of ''doing something illegal'' is a BIG stress to take off your shoulders, and stress can cause those anxiety and manicdepressive episodes

17. Depends how much you like smoking, straight up. If it's worth possible health risks or not, whatever your docs said could happen

18. It can interact with your meds, i smoked with a girl on a lot of those kindof meds and she had a really bad panic attack

Actual Quote by MJ001: Do hairs really grow on the actual head of a dick, making it look like a paint brush

19. lmao at u saying weed doesnt effect serotonin levels