When Do You Bring Up That You Smoke Weed To A New Date?

Discussion in 'Sex, Love & Relationships' started by orbweaver, Jun 20, 2014.

1. #1 orbweaver, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
    Here's my deal.

First of all, I'm a 40 year old lesbian. I have upper middle class aspirations and am not "counterculture". I use medically, for an autoimmune chronic pain condition and for pain and stiffness from auto accident injuries and have a medical card. I'd say that 90% of the time I use it for medical reasons but 10% of the time I do use it for fun. If I was able to go hiking or walking with you without being in pain on the walk and for days afterward, it's probably because I smoke weed every night before bedtime. Mmj gave me my life back and put the power to control my health back into my own hands at a time when my mainstream doctors were not even taking me seriously. I have a pretty normal life now (granted, a normal life that includes smoking some weed every night). What's more is that the weed doesn't seem to just control the pain, but actually seems to be controlling my autoimmune flareups.

I get my weed from a dispensary and don't know a single other person who smokes outside of my family (my mom and I smoke up together sometimes), and didn't even know anything about weed to speak of, before getting my medical card. 

So I have pretty strong feelings about my mmj use, and a feeling of empowerment over my own health and wellness that I never had before. 

It's been pretty much a miracle for me and has allowed me to resume a lot of the life that I had before I got sick. I'm not sure I want to go through the PITA of having to deal with my doctors to get on anything else when mmj works so well and isn't addictive and isn't getting broken down by my liver and kidneys. My mother has GERD and a hole in her stomach because of the years of high dose painkillers for her endometriosis, whereas I just smoke more on the days I'm having female problems. I know people with chronic pain conditions and autoimmune disorders who have organ damage and worse conditions because of all of the drugs they have been on for years.

I'm not sure that this matters but I find far fewer lesbians okay with weed use and there are a lot of people in the lgbt community who are in recovery and who can't be around even legal/medical weed users. It's kind of a joke even trying to date on OKCupid because everyone in my match list is 100% dead set against drug use. I'm okay with people who use recreationally, I just haven't found that many lesbians who do.

I just don't know how to bring up that I'm an mmj user, if I should list that I use mmj on my profile, or if mmj counts as drugs any more than taking other doctor prescribed medication at night counts as drugs.

I wonder if this is one of those things where it's easier to deal with, with people you meet in real life, than on OKC? 

2. Well...that sucks. Personally I like to be very upfront about it but my situation is very different that yours. I'm 22 and there are a lot more open minded people in my generation. Still though, especially since you're using it for medical reasons, I think you should be upfront about it. If they don't want to be around it that's one thing, but that shouldn't prevent you from treating your injuries.

I mean it's weed, not heroin. It's also not fair. Would they not date you if you had a Percocet prescription? No, they'd just tell you to hide your pills so they couldn't find em.

Also, if it's not okay go discriminate against people who are gay, why is it okay to discriminate against potheads? Not saying that it's the same struggle, but it's the principle that counts. Play the gay card! How many times are you gonna get to do that? Lol

3. immediately.  I unleash all my problems beforehand so there's nothing but the good stuff to discuss :)

4. I tell em like this...First things first......I'm a stoner. Look at my success... Obviously. it doesn't effect me negatively. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. Well it doesnt hurt that you're fucking ripped haha.  

6. OP probably doesn't think of herself as a stoner, but an upper middle class, career professional. The "stoner" connotation is probably what she wants to avoid.

OP I would be upfront about your mmj use. Better you find someone who is okay with your medicinal pot, than have it be a problem later on.

7. With or without the explanation people are gonna have all sorts of unconcious assumptions that come along with viewing someone who smokes weed no matter how you label your usage. Its only until they see you thrive while under the influence, then they will change theyre prespective. You need to display this. You cant hide this its who you are

8. I would just neglect to mention it - at first. Let them formulate their opinions about your personality. Then once they know you a little better tell them. That way they aren't going to judge you right from the get go. 

9. If you really want empowerment over your health you should vape or ingest.

10. When i light the blunt up.

If that bitch aint suckin my dick while im smokin that blunt...

goodbye bitch,

I actually do vape normally, except that my vape broke. So I'm stuck smoking it until I get another vape. I ingest sometimes but for the most part, don't really get the same benefit for some reason.

13. Most girls I've dated will mention smoking weed on the first few conversations, so I've never actually brought it up.

This girl I'm talking to now hasn't mentioned it, so I'll try shooting some random 'stoner' stuff and hopefully she says 'oh do you smoke weed too?'.

14. True, OP is basically a stoner if you look at it. Even if it's for medical, but it's a good thing because both recreational and medical users accept one another.

:(

15. #16 -Martyr, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    I find it bizarre that you essentially say that cannabis was a miracle for you and gave you your life back, but that you "aren't counterculture". Well, why the fuck not? If you can attest to the medicinal benefits that can be contributed to the plant in various consistencies, than why wouldn't you want to wave that banner and give back what you've been given through the passage of knowledge and general awareness? Why wouldn't you be against the oppressive legislation around the globe, effectively stripping people of their legal right to enjoy those same benefits, merely because they don't have a life-threatening disease?

I think there are plenty of lesbians out there who love weed and love an alternative lifestyle, but you're not going to attract those people by being reserved and seeming like you're against the plant outside of what it does for you either. Those are the kind of people that stoners and people who appreciate the plant avoid, because they either seem like narks or sketchballs.

That's essentially romantic entrapment. People deserve honesty upfront with anything that might potentially be a "game-changer". What if someone also represses their tremendous disdain for weed, and then you come out months down the road and say that you're a huge stoner. Now your minor inconvenience, is their resounding indifference. If they dump you or get mad, they will seem shallow, if they stay, they will be horribly uncomfortable. There's no real loss with honesty. Even if it's a problem within relationships, I highly doubt you still wouldn't be able to casually fuck until you find someone more appreciative of your lifestyle choices. I mean do you really even want to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't resonate with you anyway? There are enough pitfalls to love, without the added divide between being counterculture and being conservative.