when do plants flower outside?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by blitzkriegen, Jun 13, 2008.

1. The plants will be triggered to set flower when daylength at your lattitude falls below 14.5 hrs of daylenght. Use the link ive provided to determine when that is at your specific lattitude.

Daylight Hours Explorer

Keep in mind that it takes approx 2 weeks from the time daylength reaches the trigger level before you actually began to se pairs of flowers forming. 14.5 of daylength is achieved about mid july here at my lat and by Aug 1, i have flowering. It is a ritual for me to inspect all plants on Aug 1 to check.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I believe that each latitude is going to have slightly different start times mostly beginning around July 15 to August 1 depending on strain more than latitude. My latitude is 32.4 and NEVER recieves 14.5 hours of daylight. With that theory my plants would flower as soon as they were mature enough. That doesn't happen but we all (regardless of latitude) harvest our indicas at end september/early october or our sativas mid/late october even into early november. The plants KNOW when to flower when they are in their natural environment. After the summer solstice the plant (probably, I'm not a plant so I can't be definitive) notices shorter days and triggers chemical changes that induce pre-flowering, usually by the before mentioned mid July to very early August. Your plants will know but you can whisper sweet nothings to them if you want, it may start early.

3. Strain dependent. It is more likely to work with indicas. And most people say about 2 weeks of 12/12.

4. but if plants didn't flower until the days got to 12/12 they won't flower until the first day of fall?? i dont think so since that's in late september. i think the 12/12 thing is only for indoor grows.

5. [quote name='"HellzWindStaff"']

but if plants didn't flower until the days got to 12/12 they won't flower until the first day of fall?? i dont think so since that's in late september. i think the 12/12 thing is only for indoor grows.[/quote]

Yeah. 12/12 is indoors. Indoor or outdoor plants flower at 14 hours of light or less. If you use 14 hours of light indoors it takes longer to finish flowering, so people cut it to 12/12. That is the magic number for good yields and quick flowering indoors. But things are much different outdoors. Things happen on natures time. As I said, they will start flowering when the lights hits 14/10. That's mid August in my area (NorCal).

• Like Like x 1
  6. [quote name='"mjmama25"']

Yeah. 12/12 is indoors. Indoor or outdoor plants flower at 14 hours of light or less. If you use 14 hours of light indoors it takes longer to finish flowering, so people cut it to 12/12. That is the magic number for good yields and quick flowering indoors. But things are much different outdoors. Things happen on natures time. As I said, they will start flowering when the lights hits 14/10. That's mid August in my area (NorCal).[/quote]

Yeah i was just confused by what that munchiesbyproxy dude said about the days being 12/12 cuz thats way to late for plants to start flowering. Theyd be going into winter almost

7. This is my 5th year growing outdoors directly in the ground. In WA state near the coast, they begin to flower on Labor Day weekend or Sep 1 with just under 13.5 hrs of daylight. Of course with a 55 day flower cycle, harvest time is the end of Oct. The greatest challenge is keeping the mold away, one year I lost 75% of the crop. I've learned the hard way they must be covered from rain and force air circulation, check on them daily and clean/remove any signs of mold before it takes hold. Without cover, I have been forced to harvest early/premature to prevent massive loss. Good luck.

8. F
    C

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

9. Here in So. Cal we have two period when light goes 12/12. In April then in the late fall.

I sprouted in Late Dec/Jan and I will put them outside in mid Feb. Since they will be in pots I will bring them in for their 12 hrs of dark. Should be ready by mid/late April.

10. "]Depends on where you are. Your longitude and latitude will determine when the days sunlight becomes LESS than twelve hours. This is when most strains begin flower.

So when the days are longer than twelve hours the plant will stay in its vegetive cycle. As soon as the days get shorter, flowering begins as an attempt to preserve itself via seed production, before the winter frost kills it.
    Plants start to flower at 14.5 hrs of sun light

• Like Like x 1
  11. HRpufnstuf,

"Plants start to flower at 14.5 hrs of sun light"

I know you are an expert. Some guys that you probably never heard of, Mel Frank and Ed Rosenthal disagree with you. I know it may be a shock but some people will control how much light a plant gets.

"Cannabis is a long-night (or short-day) plant. When
    exposed to a period of two weeks of long nights - that is, 13 or more hours of continuous
    darkness each night - the plants respond by flowering. This has important implications,
    for it allows the grower to control the life cycle of the plant and adapt it to local growing
    conditions or unique situations."

Here at 34 degrees lat. I am lighting the plants indoors then when outside they will have their days shortened.

12. Thank you my friend :)

13. I
    Was Gonna say mines already seem to be in pre flower..

14. #35 WildRoseToker, Jul 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    I am growing 3 plants on my balcony in Calgary 51.1N and first frost mid September. I am growing 2 white widows I got as clones and a blue mystic I grew from seed and tried fancy training on, it was wounded. I have been covering them in the afternoon for the past 2 weeks and they are definitely flowering now. I am wondering when I can lay off the covering at night? I am getting worried about damaging them and posibly mold when the buds get bigger.