Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

When did 9 to 5 become 9 to 6?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by GreenLady36, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Seriously man.

Feels good to be having a paid time off right now though.

2. Quoted for truth. I moved out ASAP when I was 18 and went off to college and out to get a job.

Not only do you develop when you're working for your own stuff opposed to having shit handed to you, but you learn to appreciate how hard it really is to make money (especially during this economy).

I used to work at Borders when I was 16 during the summer from 5:00am - 1pm everyday. Now I do the whole 9-6 thing as well in a huge corp and let me tell you that it's a bitch and it's really hard work being an engineer.

But, at the end of two weeks when I get my fat check and that I can provide for my gf and I, paying for all the food, bills and shit myself without resorting to my parents, I always feel great.

Work sucks, but if anyone were to look around, everyone for the most part has to work if they want to get anywhere in life, even if they have no degree. Sitting around and doing nothing will get you nowhere. That's why I love pot because I can use it to enhance my creativity as well as productivity without being stupid with my results.

3. Basically, it seems Europe knows how to do things. Mandatory 3 week vacation? Unlimited sick time all covered by decent healthcare?

The netherlands closed 9 prisons because there wasn't enough criminals to put in em. Oh, they have pot decriminalized too. When is America going to wake up? What's it going to take?

4. #44 fourty47, Jun 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2009
    The problem with anarchy is, unless you were to actually assemble a large enough group to even make the slightest difference, your ideals aren't ever really going to be recognized.

Now at the individual level, I cannot criticize you. Obviously you can think about things the way you want, any-way you want. But at the macro level at judging how you'd probably function in a society, the real deal is, shit doesn't slow down for people.

We were put here in a place with certain ideals and certain ways of achieving those ideals. Meaning, generally, people have to work in order to provide for themselves. Yes there are some outrageous positions like acting or sport positions that pay crazy amounts (cmon now, some of these fucks get paid more than heart surgeons).

Sounds like BS, but in reality, if you even want to come close to contesting that, you have to gain trust within people who can help change those policies. You'll have to get involved in politics, which require work (you can't just say you're a politician without any credentials in this world). So in the end, just thinking outside the box and trying to move the "opposite" direction isn't really going to do anything.

In the end of the day, you're always gonna be in the same overall state you started.

Just think about it this way. With any creation, there is always going to be a group of people who will criticize the flaws of the product. This product can be a physical thing, or a conceptual thing like society. How exactly can these flaws be addressed? It gets addressed when the group of people who criticizes the flaws can assemble a way to actually convince the creators to fix it. If these people just bitched all day and never actively "worked" to do what they needed to do, what's going to change?

The problem with some people I realize is that all they do is complain but never actually work to address the issue.

5. its the nice hour lunch we get. fuckers just dont pay for it anymore. but its badass cuz i get to come back home smoke a little and like hangout with my animals lol

6. haha :) hanging out with animals ftw

7. LOL who is this guy? Trying to say that we don't have to work? It's part of life, homie. Go to college and learn to do something you enjoy instead of being the anarchy kid wearing all black that sits at the back of the school bus giving himself piercings.

8. shit i wish i could work 9 to 6....i work 6:30 to between 3 and 5....man what i would give for that extra sleep/ energy...cant even get high on the weekdays cuz im always to tired and just pass out...the worst is that im still young...

9. Yo just saying that 6 am is a rough time to start working. Never been much of a early-morning dude.

10. I used to think just like you..........when i was around 17-18. And in a perfect world hell yeah, but welcome to reality. Where we live surrounded by material things and concrete. If you want to live in a little 4x4 cardboard box in a couple years, keep up your mindstate.

I mean im all for taking some time, and hitch hiking, traveling or whatever, ive done it myself. But reality will set in, you will realize whether you agree with it or not, your gonna have to make some money to get by, atleast that is my current outlook; based only on past and present expeiriences.

So did i get it close? your in your teens or very close to it????? If so, bump this thread in a couple years and see if your outlook has changed.......

peace out.

Edit: and back on topic, i work mon-saturday 8-5 with a paid hour for lunch, no other breaks. I like my job though, and i like cashflow.

11. #51 aum, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
    Has anyone here read Ishmael by Daniel Quinn?

If not, please do yourself the favor. How quick we are to forget that humans existed harmoniously and sustainably for millions of years on this planet, before we got keen to the idea of locking up our food and having to work for it. And then in the few thousand years since, we find ourselves overcrowded on a planet that can no longer sustain us, facing global catastrophe.

12. There was a study done where US employees were compared to European employees. The US employees devoted more time to work and had less personal time. European employees, however, spent less times in their offices and were given more personal time. The study showed that although US employees spent more time at work, the European employees were more productive. Unfortunately i can't find the exact refrence to this study but i remember reading it in an economics book i read a few months back.

I also find it interesting to see how our work lives are increasingly becoming incorporated into our personal lives. E.g. Blackberries, laptops, etc. are all devices that help you continue to work while away from the office.

13. Great comment Lemon +rep. The blackberry concept and even the mere fact that a person has to be accessible at any point in time via their cellphone scares me. I get really annoyed when people get angry at me for not answering/having my phone. My job also sends a lot of emails which interlaps with my personal life as well.

In my opinion, the lack of personal time and space from work can lead to detrimental stress and anxiety. Thats a topic for another day though...

I'm not trying to complain, my life is easy compared to many others. Plus Im well fed and well toked, so I have nothing to complain about :smoking:

14. #54 fourty47, Jun 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2009
    The problem is that people always think in terms of ideologies or what "used to be."

In the context of the United States today, that kind of mentality just doesn't work anymore. Yes, we may have been fine back then, millions of years ago living "harmoniously," but that was way before we even had the industrial revolution.

When you're industrialized, you have to work for improvements and increased cash-flow. Back then when development wasn't as rapid, people could share, etc, but think about the state of civilizations. Look at civilizations today that haven't even industrialized. Is that the world you'd want to be in? If so, then get off the internet and start hunting and sharing food with tribes then. It's free, but still laborious (meaning, work is still required either way, not like meat will suddenly fall from the skies).

It's easy to take a look at back then, but it's hard to accept having to make decisions based off present-day conditions. In general, at least in modernized societies, you have to work. Shit, even back then when we were nomadic, we still had to work to get food... and I'm sure tons of mental work was needed in order to even start thinking about creating the first tools.

IMO it's the mentality that things should be "handed" to people that gets to me. Work isn't some new concept. I just feel that since we have so many things handed to us (parents trying to provide so much to their children so the children don't "have to go through what the parents did", etc.), people are losing this concept of working in order to provide.

15. I thinks that's a great point there. +Rep

I agree that we should work for what we need, however, what i find discomforting is the emphasis modern society places on money and the immoral greed behind employees and employers.

It seems that so many organisations (particularly larger ones) view employees as being 'pawns' which they feel the right to control. I'm not saying employees should be treated like kings, but far too often we see busineses ignoring morals simply to raise profits.

On the other hand, there is also greed on the employees side. At the end of the day employees are working for the money (the same thing employers want). Ultimately it's the empoyees choice to work or not (looking at this from a simple point of view).

I think people need to consider their reason and uses for money. I'm not saying people shouldn't work at all or even that people should view money as something 'bad'. But there is a cost you pay when you decide to put in 80 hrs/week in the office - loss of time. Perhaps some of this time could go to spending time with loved ones, learning new things, etc. Maybe the latest technology, new furntiure, the new car, etc. isn't as important as people think. In modern society the focus on commercial goods is massive.

It's everyones personal choice on how much they're willing to work. If someone really enjoys raking in money thats great, i'm honestly happy for them. There are also some people who unfortunately struggle to make ends meet and reducing working hours isn't really an option. I just think people should question the long term costs of spending excessive hours at work.

Happy toking :smoking:

16. The things you're outlining here are not things I was implying. For one, I find great fault in making value judgments against "uncivilized" cultures through the eyes of "civilized" culture. "Uncivilized" cultures knew ways of living that lasted for millions of years, though they were different from ours; to the contrary, our "civilized" culture which breaks so many natural laws we don't think apply to us has been around for 8000 short years and is quickly reaching a critical peak. I'm not saying we should all go back to what we were doing before the agricultural and industrial revolutions. Rather, what I'm saying is we can learn from those ways that actually worked for millions of years, rather than assume they were flawed and that a better way is out there just waiting for our technology to discover it. This assumption has driven us into a way of living that is completely at war with the rest of the natural world.

Like you, I don't believe in "handouts" either. But there is a distinction to be made between living off of what the world provides you, and trying to alter the world for it to provide you with what you want. The latter is uniquely characteristic of "civilized" culture, and it may very well be the end of us. How unfortunate. The former, though, is a universally understood law among everything else in the community of life. Monkeys don't sit around and wait for fruit to fall from the trees--they go picking for it. But do they spend 12 hours a day doing so, and do they cut down non-fruit-bearing trees to make room for more fruit-bearing ones? They do not.

Respectfully, if you'd visit your local library and find a copy of the book I mentioned, you'd understand better the point I was trying to make.