When can you tell your plants gender??

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by xZxChris, Oct 2, 2011.

1. When can you tell your plants gender?? my plants are almost 3 weeks old from seed.

2. 2-3 Weeks into flowering. you have awhile to go buddy. Got some pics by chance? and whats your set up like im interested.

3. all you do is look wher your buds would be growing on the plant and if male ther will be sacks(ballsack) seed sack..or if female ther should be lil hairs coming out or pistils.. but yeah your gunna have to wait till it starts to show.

4. You will be able to tell 4-6 weeks into veg [preflowers] or 1-2 weeks into flower.

5. on 24/0 cycle i saw preflowers in 5 weeks. never have had them on any other cycle tho.... I am still a noob, only had a bunch of failed attempts before joining here. but in my experience that's how it has happened for me

6. Yeah sometimes your plants will show you they are ready to flower when you start seeing preflowers. My chemdog clone just started popping some pistils on her and she is under 19/5 right now

7. Cannabis plants are either male or female. The male plants produce pollen which pollinates the flowers of the female plant, which once pollenized, produce seeds. If the female plant isn't pollenized (if there are no male plants nearby producing pollen), the flower/buds continue to develop and produce THC. Female plants which are not pollenized are referred to as sensemilla (without seeds).

Female Pistils - notice the sac and the feathery frond-like structure. Usually after five days to two weeks you will begin to see a pair of tubular nodes. Hopefully they will have white hairs protruding from them as this denotes a female plant. These little hairs are known as pistils and they are the first sign your plant is flowering.

Female Cannabis – The female cannabis plant, unlike the male, is grown to produce marijuana. Premium marijuana is produced in seedless form by eliminating all pollen sources from the growing environment. Seed production reduces the value of marijuana dramatically by lowering the yield and potency of the flowers.

The female flowers appear as two long white, yellow, or pink pistils protruding from the fold of a very thin membranous calyx. The calyx is covered with resin exuding glandular trichomes (hairs). Pistillate flowers are borne in pairs at the nodes one on each side of the petiole behind the stipule of bracts which conceal the flowers. The females are recognized by the enlargement of a symmetrical tubular calyx (floral sheath). They are easier to recognize at a young age than male primordia.

The first female calyxes tend to lack paired pistils (pollen-catching appendages) though initial male flowers often mature and shed viable pollen. In some individuals, especially hybrids, small non-flowering limbs will form at the nodes and are often confused with male primordia. The female plants tend to be shorter and have more branches than the male.