When can I transplant into 3 gal pots?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by Lonelystoners, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Well, the perfect time is when they start to root bound.You can ser that when the clones or seedlings suddendly appear to not grow as fast as they used to be.But for how long do you have them in those cups?Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Grasscity Forum

2. Let than get slightly dry before you do, then you will have a manageable clod when it comes out of the cup.

3. [quote name="snoopdog6502" post="19328594" timestamp="1389570586"]Let than get slightly dry before you do, then you will have a manageable clod when it comes out of the cup.[/quote]Do that, and after transplanting you should also give plenty of water, to minimize stress riskEnviado do meu iPhone usando o Grasscity Forum

4. Thanks sn-double-oh-p d-o-double-g and old monkey. Started these seedlings on Jan 1st!

5. You started the seedlings on 1st january or you started germination on that day? Cause they seem a bit small for almost two weeks. But either way, I don't think they are root bounded yet. Wait a few more days, take another photo, and we will see ;)Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Grasscity Forum

6. Will do! But yeah sorry they've been in soil for 10 days. They are small because its such a micro that I honestly don't have room for big fixtures with filtration. Sadly using CFL for now until I move...

CFL are a good training tool. If you can get some happy plants with them , then when you get some big lights you will be rocking the grow room.

8. #9 OldMonkey, Jan 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2014
    CFL are great, they really are. But you have to get the best you can from them, and to do that, just get lights really close to the plant.
    CFL's scatter a lot of light, and since they don't have proper reflectors, you really have to get the lights close. Don't worry about burning the plant, they don't heat almost nothing, so you can put 4" or 10cm from the plant and only adjust the height of the light once a day. If you put closer, you should check more times.

9. #10 Lonelystoners, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
     Here is an update @[member="OldMonkey"]. How can i tell that root bound has occurred?

10. #11 Lonelystoners, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2014
    photo-2.JPG

Attached Files:

11. Well, you only can by seeing a decrease on the growth rate. ( sorry for just replying today, haven't logged for a while).By this time, day 19 I guess they all have a good root system already, and are ready to transplant.Before you do it, let the soil dry out a bit. It is a lot easier to transplant, also do it, when the lights are off.And after you do it, give them plenty of water to minimize stress risk, B-1 vitamin also minimizes this is risk and is found in multiples nutes. But this vitamin is not much important, as long as you transplant them correctly.Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong. That's perfection.If you are afraid to fall, you just fall 'cause you are afraid.