when can i tell the sex?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by budblower10, Jul 5, 2007.

1. when are you guys able to tell what sex your plants are? im in the NE usa, so anyone around there please let me know, i cant remember from last year. they will show pre-flowers before actually flowering, right? thanks

2. Correct. They'll show preflowers around the 5-7 week mark in veg.

3. I planted at the end of april and I started seeing preflowers in about 7-8 weeks. I ran into numerous problems cause it was my first grow. I live in MA, indoor plants though, growin under some CFLs. I have a thread around there somewhere...

4. do all plants have the two little skinny finger-like objects at the nodes? i know females have pistils and males balls, but all of my plants have 2 little, 1/4 inch long string objects next to each other on each node? thats normal right?

5. yeh bublower, looks like all plants have those finger like objects at the node.

My "speed queens" from mandala are 48 days old, outdoor grow. They also have those objects at their nodes. I almost mistook them for females..

Anyone know how long till i can sex my plants?

-

6. yeh bublower, looks like all plants have those finger like objects at the node.

My "speed queens" from mandala are 48 days old, outdoor grow. They also have those objects at their nodes. I almost mistook them for females..

Anyone know how long till i can sex my plants?

7. Nice photo rayco, and you're quite right; they're called stipules, and all plants have them, male or female.

Same answer; 5-7 weeks(ish), so any day now. Keep an eye out at the higher nodes.

8. Do you mean little hairs like this?

Very old pic of my baby, someone told me my baby is a girl. And now i have no idea how to tell, Can sex only be told in flowering?

[​IMG]

9. Those are not hairs.

The 2 spikes pointing vertically up from the side of the main stem at each node (the centre 2 in the pic) are stipules, the 2 growths just above the base of the fanleaf stems (the outside 2 in the pic) are new branches starting to grow

There's no way to tell sex from that pic, and it is not necessary to flower to determine sex.

Can I suggest you give this Sticky thread a read or two:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beginners/101130-sexing.html

10. there is a sticky in the grow section about sexing with good pictures showing differences between pistils and stipules, check it out

11. My experience with numerous strains is that it is strain dependant as to how early they show sex. Earliest for me was skunkxxx showing male at 16 days from seed. Most strains show sex before week 4 of veg. Have never grown a strain that took beyond 35days of veg to show sex. C99 is an early show, usually by week 3. Generally males show first, with females close behind. The "skinny finger-like" projections you are refering to at every node, i think are called (stipules) (4, 2 each side), behind those you will find the preflower, males will have a slight seperation between the stem and the preflower and appear roundish, the female will seem to meld with the stem and appear pear shaped. I use a 7x eyelupe to do the evaluation and count on early male detection to get them out of the grow and allow for more light to the females. If you wait to see hairs from the female preflower, (particularly with the naked eye), then perhaps week 5 is when you can sex.