When can I start using nutes with fresh soil mix

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Nikkata, Jan 19, 2016.

1. #1 Nikkata, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
    this is my first indoor grow. I'm using soil as my medium and got a question. How long until I can start using nutrients on my plants. There should be enough food in the soil for atleast a month? Here's my mix I made this morning.
    2 parts promix potting soil
    1 part Perlite
    1 part Worm castings
    1 tbs/gallon blood meal
    1 tbs/gallon bone meal
    1 tbs/gallon Dolomite lime
    ( also thinking about adding some guano)
    So what you guys think. Am I missing anything in my soil.

2. Check out the organic forum.....tons of there about soil.
    One thing I see missing is rock dust. Another thing to note is mixed organic soil has to "cook" ( sit) for four to six weeks before use.
    If you go the organic route, and your pots are big enough, you don't need to add nutes at all.

I have used pro mix as my medium for about a year in a hydroponic top feed system. I mixed perilite with it at 50/50 ratio and started feeding after three weeks or so. Note pro mix has a shot of fertilizer included and was too strong for young plants (tested the initial watering runoff at over 1000 PPM ) so I often flushed it till PPMs dropped to 300 or so). Also test the ph of the runoff as it is sometimes way off where u want it initially.
    I have swapped to hydroton as my medium recently as pro mix took a lot of babysitting to get it working properly
    G/L

3. I would wait until the 3rd month before adding nutes to soil.

4. I plan on doing a sog. I have 2 fem seedlings about a week old in the current soil (Barney's critical kush). These will be my mother plants. When they are big enough to clone I plan on vegging until they are 12" tall. So if you recommend waiting 3 months then I shouldn't bother with nutes at all? (veg approx 3 weeks + 60 flowering). With this hinder my yield at all without the help of flowering nutes.

By the way my veg room is a 3x6 tent with 3 4' florescent t12 40w each. Flowering room is a 4x4 grow tent with a 600 Watt hps. Plan on having a constant harvest every 2 months with 16 clones (1 per square foot)

5. My veg room fluorescents are plant and aquarium 240w total. I will be using 1 gallon pots. I didn't plan on doing an all organic grow I just wanted a good starting soil to begin with. Little bit of poor planning on my part in letting the soil cook but atleast the clones will be in the cooked soil.
    I appreciate at the help I can get I am quickly learning that indoor is about more complicated than outdoor growing haha