When can I put my plants out side?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by mattmc804, Feb 16, 2012.

1. #1 mattmc804, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
    My last frost is like May 20th. Seems late. Is it ok to put a two foot plant out on like 4/20 or will the frost kill it. I am very eager to get started this years grow.

Also since your already reading this... anyone know how to transfer 24/0 to outdoors. The day length should be 13 hours 27 minutes on 4-20 not including sunrise-sunset.

2. #2 pointswest, Feb 16, 2012
    Wait until the day-length is 14 hrs or more for your latitude. Reduce your inside day-length gradually to 16 hours before transplanting outside. Frost will kill the plant if planted too early, it doesn't matter how big it is. You will also have to harden the inside plant off in a sheltered location when first transferring outside to adjust to the more severe environmental conditions..

PW

3. #3 poppybgood, Feb 16, 2012
    With most strains, going from 24/0 to 13.5/10.5 they will start to bud, then re-veg. Using a method like that, you will need to wait till a few weeks before the summer solstice before moving outdoors. IMO, a better plan for you is to plan on starting them(we are talking seeds? or clones?) if seeds about May 1st. Veg them indoors under 12/12, going up to 14/10 for the first 2 weeks or so, then move them outdoors.
    If they are clones, you can gradually reduce the hours to about 16/8, then move them out if the days are 14 hours and gaining without much troubles. Some strains will try to flower and re-veg and still make fine, dense flowers in the end, while others will be squaggle and squirrel tails when it happens. Knowing the strain is the key- some are gung-ho to bud, and others can have their light cycles manipulated w/o too many problems.
    Oops, PW beat me to it.

4. Harden off? What do you mean?

Also

Could i do 12/12 for 3 weeks then add a hour a week for 2 weeks so its 14/ 0 on may 4th, thats when i have 14 hours of daylight.

I like the idea of moving from 14/10 indoors to 14/10 outdoors plus sunrise and sunset.

Seems right?

5. #5 pointswest, Feb 16, 2012
    Harding off is like getting a suntan, you have to gradually accustom the plant to the greater light intensity or it will burn the leaves. Start out outside in the shade first and slowly give more sun each day for a few days until ready to transplant to final location.

The gradual switch to 14 hrs is ok. Don't switch from 24 hrs directly to 14. You don't have to get the time exactly even with the day-length of your planting date, it just has to be more than 14 hrs to keep from initiating flowers.

PW

6. I did that last year an worked great. Doing the same this year. I cut my clones 2 weeks ago getting ready to put them out on 4/20. It's always a great day.

7. Wait, could I just put them on 14/10 the whole time