When can I clone?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Sun_Devil, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I'm wanting to grow a couple of mother plants... when should I take the first clones from them? Is there a certain age or height I should wait for until I take a clone?

2. I wait until I would put my plants into 12/12 before I clone. At least a foot tall as you want the clones to be taken from strong stems. Good luck

3. Well they're going to be mother plants so they'll stay under 24/0 MH vegetation. I was thinking about 12"-15" would be a good time to start taking clones.. I suppose I'll just have to wait and see when they're ready.

Thanks

4. Click the link under my signature, ive got pictures of my mother plants.

5. I could possibly see taking clones VERY early in flower but IMO it doesn't make sense to flower the plant and then send the cutting back to VEG to clone. In every case I cloned while in flower the cutting took considerably longer to root.

To the OP you will know when to take a cutting, I wouldn't suggest taking any more than two at a time from the plant in its early stages. Just look for tops, practice makes perfect. Do you have a method in mind ?

6. What do you mean look for tops? I thought clones come from branches. (sorry if I sound retarded... I am still new to this, as you can probably tell)

Also, a method to what? The cloning? The growing?

Thanks

7. Thats not what I meant dude, I meant I wait until my plants are of flowering size before I clone.

8. #8 Mr.Bubb-es, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
    No worry's im retarded too :wave:

I wouldn't even consider cloning until you have a step by step course of action for what you want to do with the cutting. Visualize it and or practice some dry runs LOL, sounds silly huh.

Google "Marijuana cloning" I see a lot of decent reads and videos.

Every branch comes to an end, I think the majority of people call them tops. If its not the TOP now it will be once you clone it LOL.

I have tried a ton of methods; from rockwool in domes w/ a heating pad, to in a glass of water, to the aero device i built and seen in my $25.00 CFL reflector thread.

Honestly some will laugh but here is what I am currently doing;

Take the cutting at angle right to dish of water and let it soak. Trim it up a little in the water ( leave some leaves at the top ). Make a final cut underwater at an angle, drag it through some root tone, and put it in a pot of soil. I put 3 cuttings in a single 1 gallon pot and keep them out of the direct light for a few days. After a few days I drag them in and out of the direct light. It could take as long as two weeks to root. I can usually tell they are rooting because the upper leaves begin to yellow from the tips signaling the plant is take energy from them. Once they root dig them up carefully and get them in their own pots.

In all honesty my homemade aero cloner was the coolest but my success rate is about the same doing the above. After you have read, read, and read come back and I can try to help with specifics.

9. #9 fitzyno1, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2009
    Take a clone when the mother is mature, ie. when the branches start to alternode or when the mother shows preflowers.
    EDIT: around 5 or 6 weeks from seed, depending on strain

10. Your mother should be at least 2 months old before cloning off it. I took 20 clones and 12 survived. Not bad for my first try but I did it after about 6-7 weeks of veg, and should have waited a little longer. The clones root faster and the momma regrows faster.

GL.

11. Makes sense ...

To the OP takes some pictures of your plant and I bet Usual Suspect and I could point you to some tops to clone...

12. Okay, thanks everyone. I have already watched a few videos so I've seen how they do it... I'll keep researching... I just ordered the seeds so I have a couple of months until I actually have to do it.

13. Yo, you seem to know what you are doing bubbles although I use a different method myself. There are so many different ways to do things and conflicting advice from people. Why not try Mr. bubbles method it sounds simple enough? I think cloning is simple now, the key seems to be, a sterile blade, 45 degree angle cut, cloning solution, humidity and warmth.

I have just cloned my LSD's, I now seem to be having 100% success rate since learning to take cuttings from stronger stems.

Good luck, take a look into it or give it a go and if you need help just ask.

14. Yeah, I think I will. Everything you two have said adds up with the videos I've watched and the reading I've done, so I think I'll give it a go when the time comes.