Wheat vs Alfalfa/Barley Straw mulch

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by DyersEve726, Nov 9, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Woah! That is brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. My worms are here! Made them a happy home in a 5 gal bucket half filled with coco and fruit/veges. I can already see them eating in there. Planning on doing the 3 bucket stack. I probably won't even put any in the pot this run. I'll just let them multiply and make castings for me.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. You may be interested in the following thread if you haven't already read it.
    Vermicomposting (Make your own Worm Castings)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Excellent advice. It could use a little “bulking up” to optimize things.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've taken a peek at that one as well, but haven't dug too deep. Been trying to digest a lot of new information lately. It's queued up for future reading though.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Sorry, what are you referring to?

• Like Like x 2
  7. It’s good to use something to bulk up your bedding. Something to add structure and more carbon usually works well. Rice hulls work outstanding but there are lots of things that work well. Stuff that’s chopped small works the best.
    Cheers
    Os

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hmm...would chopped straw work? I just mix it up with the bedding?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Yep. Take a scissors and chop it off in real small pieces. It will break down a lot nicer in the end. With straw, big pieces will persist for quite a long time which you might not care for if you use it in a soil mix.
    Cheers
    Os

• Like Like x 2
  10. Appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
  11. No problem. I've already taken a look at that one also. I'm a bit of a sponge when I set my mind to something. I have also spent a good chunk of time watching the build-a-soil youtube channel. Love it. My brains about full to bursting, but it's good. I'll marinate in it for a while.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Some old speakers just sold on Reverb this morning and I'm $350 richer. I was all set to place my order on RedBud, when BuildASoil went live on YouTube telling me all their shit is super marked down. A perfect storm! I went ahead and bit the bullet. Ordered 4 cubic feet of the Oly Mountain recipe, coconut powder, cover crop seeds, and 12 pounds of their craft blend, just because it was 40% off with my soil order and no additional shipping. Of course, the overall shipping killed me, but gotta do whatchya gotta do. Altogether, after tax and shipping, $263. Considering I used to spend $100+ every other grow on liquid nutes, I'm trying not to feel too bad about the shipping charges. Between the 12 pounds of craft blend and the other amendments I already purchased, I'm literally set for several years growing 1-2 plants at a time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. I still have a few bottles of this Coco-wet organic wetting agent that I used to use in my tanks. I'd like to get use out of them if I can, but just like to be sure it's nothing that'll build up or cause problems. Active ingredient is modified cocodiethanolamide. I see build-a-soil use wetting agents pretty frequently. May as well use it up if it's safe.

Organic wetting agent, natural wetting agent

14. Hi brother. What I do, for the most part, is to cut the harvested plant out at soil level then place my next seedling right next to the old plant. Lots of benefits to doing this but you cant do a lot of up potting. They just seem to work together and by the time that plant is ready, the last root ball is just organic matter loaded with life. Some of the well known Organic/no-til guys here have gone multiple rounds like this amending slightly between grows.
    Good luck!
    B61

• Like Like x 3
  15. Just for this reason alone I would not suggest using it. In June 2012, the California Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment added cocamide DEA to the California Proposition 65 (1986) list of chemicals known to cause cancer.
    It's not the coconut oil I'd be concerned with. It's the diethanolamine used in making this product. For organic wetting agents we use Aloe, Soap nuts or Yucca.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Glad I asked. In the trash they go. I had never even heard of soap nuts. Very interesting, and I love the name, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Here's a few photo's of whole soap nuts. 20221118_112953.jpg 20221118_113024.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1