Wheat Grass

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by 70s, Dec 28, 2011.

1. so im going to start growing wheat grass for the rents.. any special advice one has on growing wheat grass?.. it should be fairly easy but any advice would be great.

2. Well - here's one comment to mull over perhaps. Even when grown organically using the best premium soils, nurtured and fussed over - it is still in a tough race with tofu as the most horrible food item one can ingest.

And I've eaten grilled lizards in Peru so I'm pretty tough.

HTH

LOL

LD

3. Haha! whats up LD... yeah the wheat grass can be pretty rough especially on an empty stomach.. and tofu just sucks.. not saying it tastes bad.. it just sucks haha.

im probably just gunna grow in a basic mix with worm casting as a top dress. only special requirment ive heard with wheat grass is using azomite in the soil.. just trying to see if any other amendments are essential

4. Yeah - in all seriousness, minerals are a good thing to add to any soil but in particular soils growing food. Lack of minerals (elements) is a serious problem - it's kind of the reason to eat plants in the first place.

Usual deal - solid soil, amendments, etc. And on the subject of amendments, kelp meal is a plant material that will provide the entire range of all 83 elements accumulated and used by plants. The entire range.

Add about 1/2 cup to 1 c.f. of potting soil and you will have your minerals covered in spades for little money.

Best wishes for the New Year!

LD

5. i was just getting everything together and the two amendments i decided to add were azomite and kelp meal.. i have so much kelp meal:)

have a happy new year LD thanks for the input:wave:

6. This is the key to ALL my outdoor sucess and as I have said a thousand times, if I could only use one additive...Kelp.....both from fresh water and Ocean.

the ocean kelp is easily sorced and very benificial to the grow. I am drawn to the Fresh water kelp more thn any though and a mix of the two at 1/3 Ocean and 2/3 fresh is like a vaccine for plants.
    the mix will prevent yellowing, drought, heat stress, just about anything you can throw at em.

I always suggest that a guy like you go find an Artesian Well...there are plenty in your area..
    when ya see the "sea weed" growing in one you can rest assured that it is in aa pure an enviornment as you will ever see... fill a couple 5 gallon buckets with holes drilled in the bottom and dry it out real good, get a little of the mud/clay from the bottom right with it.

I put a plain plastic milk jug some where and a handfull of the kelp in it with water and let the sunshne bring it to life, pour the water off the top leaving the kelp lay in the bottom and refill for the next watering....lasts a good while and I use it every watering outdoors.....

7. G45

The two main compounds that separate marine algae (kelp) from the rest are Alginic acid and Mannitol.

Even if kelp was a nutrient wasteland you would still want to use kelp if only for these 2 compounds.

LD

8. ^^man am i glad you two are at this forum.

:gc_rocks:

gunna start germing some of these seeds tonight.. first got to go tidey up the veg box.

you guys ever try this wheat grass stuff? my uncle is really hypin it up and he got me seeds and stuff for christmas.. he dosent stop talking about it lol..

9. now I gotta look that up LOL! I wont grow with out my kelp man and I constantly seem to learn more and more good things about it....

10. Just a teaser - Alginic acid can absorb 200-300 times its own weight in water.

This compound is only found in brown kelps (like the Ascophyllum nodosum which is the main species most commonly harvested in the North Atlantic by companies like Maxicrop and Acadian Seaplants, Ltd., et al.).

Here's an overview of the main varieties of marine algae (kelp) with their respective nutrient levels which includes Alginic Acid and Mannitol. Red, Green and Brown varieties.

LD

11. sweet link thanks...

12. G45

The complete list of amendments that I now use is just 4:

1. Canadian Glacial Rock Dust - 4 to 5 cups per 1 c.f. of mixed soil

2. Kelp Meal - 1/2 cup for 1 c.f. of soil

3. Crab Meal - 1/2 cup for 1 c.f. of soil

4. Neem Meal - 1/2 cup for 1 c.f. of soil

That's it. And even better that I can explain the 'how' and 'why' on each one but basically every element needed by plants are in this mix with special emphasis on Calcium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Sulphur, Silica, Magnesium, etc.

Chump change

LD

13. definitly will be in my outdoor mix for next year outdoor,thank you sir!...since these are your staple ingredient's i take it you got some links's for the best providers?

14. I'm considering this as well. Where I live there is a huge organic market and I know a couple chef's who pay outrageous prices. There is also an eggplant shortage now as well so I'm looking into that.

15. yeah the organic market is def booming and mad yuppies are into it so there is money to be had.. wheat grass shots around here go for 1.99-3.99 an ounce depending on the health food store your at. some trays can go for twenty bucks ive heard..

opperation wheat grass is in effect. i can only house two trays at a time so im upgrading and building a bigger cab so we can have a perpetual six trays in motion... its been nice having a shot in the morning times instead of a cup of coffee.. dont worry i still drink coffee though..what would one do without that:eek:

here is a shot of the cab and two trays just a day or two before harvest

[​IMG]

see that extra space in there.. just planted pots of cilantro and basil.. anyone els got suggestions.. cant grow sacred herb atm:(

16. Tell them that you're adding minerals to the soil - that'll get their legs twitching with excitement.

It does around here anyway......

17. I like wheat grass!But I have no use for it cuz I don't have a juicer

Wheat grass and tofu are both good for you! In fact, I'm thinking of a nice tofu entre' with a wheat grass sauce! LOL!

I'd eat these before an iguana but I would try one!

Cool grow!

:)

18. some times...20$ a tray lol...insane :eek:

19. Chocolate mint. Grow some of that for a chef they will love it for deserts.

I got an offer to supply all herbs and some produce for my work. So I am in the same boat as you. Did my insanely large seed order last week.

What type of a soil mix are you using?

20. so what im hearing is i can pretty much sprout a bunch of wheat seeds let them grow for alittle while and then sell them to health food places for money? oh im down big time.

can you juice it with any kinda of juicer or does it have to be a special one