What's your religion?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Gator, Oct 11, 2007.

1. I - belive in Zeus.

2. I think we agree Liquid. It's just a superficial little teasing argument since you weren't explicit enough :D

Always assume your codebaters will explore your non-stated premises in an effort to score cheap points... Annoying yes, avoidable, not very likely.

:smoke:

3. I am going to have to start writing novels it seems. :p

4. Those were your words. Like I said before, I have nothing against logic and reason...it is very useful in everyday life.

However, when one chooses to explore the depths of their own mind, you have to leave all limiting factors (including logic) behind. You must be completely open to wherever the journey may take you...if you wish to reach this point of enlightenment.

Reaching this point could take years and years, and in some cases, is never reached at all. If you are lucky enough to reach this place of enlightenment within yourself, you can then choose to apply logic to the enlightenment, if you wish.....or you can accept it as a personal truth.

This personal truth may not be factual in the eyes of the world as a whole, but its true to the individual. You cant ignore the voice of who you really are and what you really believe, in much of the same ways you claim that one cannot ignore the voice of reason and logic.

We are all different when it comes to how we view things, from a personal standpoint. People may agree on many factors, but rest assured there is always something down to the core that makes us unique.

It is this unique core that we all must strive to find, this is the place of enlightenment.

The question then becomes, can you really apply logic or reason to something that is completely unique to the individual?

The bottom line is that for all the good that comes along with logic and reason, when it comes to the depths of the mind & personal enlightenment...they take on the form of chains, rather than tools.

5. There are both agnostic and atheist religions. There are types of Buddhism for each.

6. You know what I love best about religious debates? People who assume all religions are like the Three Abrhamic religions.
    But anyway, I would love to see your proof that there is no meaning to life. Or is that you're personal take on it?

7. Yeah one thing that a lot of people don't realize is that Eastern religions often place very little emphasis on a supreme being. In that respect, many of them are more like philosophy than religion... they focus on living a good life and being a good person, not pleasing god or the afterlife.

8. (off topic, I know)

Won't work, I've tried :)

Not only that, but even when you do give a premise, it may be used against you. Like when Cannabis presented the copy-paste job of points against evolution. I gave credible refutation to about half of them, stating explicitly I'd only do the most obvious. Later I could read in a post by Cannabis "Zylark couldn't even form a rebuttal for every error presented!".

Do or don't, either way you're screwed :D

9. I fail to see what this has to do with anything... ?

10. Then that's Buddhism, not atheism or agnosticism. Don't mislabel things. Atheism is not a religion. Neither is agnosticism. Can a religion adopt atheistic or agnostic ideas? Sure. But that doesn't mean if you call yourself an atheist, you adhere to a religion. As many have said before, atheism is a religion the same way not collecting stamps is a hobby.

The onus is on you! If you think life has a meaning, please share what that is. Don't be shy to include evidence or to use logic.

My take on "the meaning of life" is that there is none. Which is wonderful! We are free! Since life lacks any inherent meaning, we are free to define the meaning of our own life.

11. I'm agnostic. I think there is no for sure proof for or against God's existance. I won't in general just bash on the religion, since everyone has a right to their own beliefs. I just hate it when religious people try pressing their beliefs on you. If a Jehovah's Witness guy comes to my door, I don't hesitate to get high and spout off my own personal viewpoint. And just for fun, I've been considering answering the door in boxers and a pentagram painted on my chest. It sounds like a blast, haha.

12. Just tell them you worship Satan. That usually stops 'em from comin back

13. raised mormon, didnt pay that much attention as a kid, but a lot of my views are swayed to some mormon idea.s..

14. Ziggy Marley: Love Is My Religion

[​IMG]

Yeah, Love is my religion.
    Love is my religion.
    Love is my religion.

I'll take you to the temple tonight.

All my days, I've been searching
    To find out what this life is worth,
    Through the books and bibles of time.
    I've made up my mind.

I don't condemn, I don't convert.
    Yeah, this is a calling, have you heard?
    Bring all the lovers to the fort
    'Cause no one is gonna lose their soul.

Hey, Love is my religion. (Love is my religion)
    Love is my religion. (Love is my religion)
    Love is my religion.

Hey, you can take it or leave it,
    And you don't have to believe it.

I don't want to fight.
    Hey, let's go fly a kite.
    There's nothing that we can't cure.
    And I'll keep you in my arms for sure.

So don't let nobody stop us.
    Free spirits have to soar.
    With you, I share the gift,
    The gift that we now know.

Oh, Love is my religion. (Love is my religion)
    Love is my religion.

I say you can take or leave it.
    You don't have to believe it.

Well, I'm done searching now.
    I found out what this life is worth, yeah.
    Not in the books did I find,
    But by searching my mind, yeah.

I don't condemn, I don't convert.
    This is the calling, have you heard?
    Bring all the lovers to the fort.
    No one is gonna lose their soul.

Well, Love is my religion. (Love is my religion)
    Love is my religion.

Hey, you can take it or leave it
    And you don't have to believe it.

Love is my religion.

So you can take it or leave it.
    Now do you believe?​

15. That is my personal belief. I have my morals and what I think is a meaning of life. But I don't think anyone can tell somebody else what the meaning of life is. I really don't have any problem with the idea of religion. I know that there are several other religions besides christianity, judaism, and islam. In fact, I think polytheistic views are really interesting and cool to think of.

16. Did you read the post I was replying too? He said agnostic nonreligious by definiton, which it isn't and Atheist nonreligious by conviction. Now he could have been speaking of himself, but to me it didn't read that, it read as if he were stating these were defintions. I was just pointing out the flaws.

Umm, I never said there was a meaning to life. But to say for sure, completely definetly there is none, is a postive statement and requires a proof. As it turned out he was saying that he saw no overreaching meaning of life, but had his own personal one. You would appear to be the same way. I am as well, but its because I lack the ability to see one. Whether that is a statement about my own inteligence or the nature of the univerese, I can't judge.

17. best reply yet.

i feel like breaking into song also...

"i'm a rainbow too"

18. Does no one know that atheism is not a religion? It isn't.

19. was raised christian, but now i see the truth. it all makes perfect sense; everyone wants security, but you get it from yourself. it a huge global scam to control your mind. watch this movie, it is awesome...

http://www.zeitgeistmovie.com/
    :smoking: