What's your ethical model?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Einsiedler, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Hypotheticaly if you were asked to re write the laws of your state, country or whatever, how would you go about finding a common morality to base them on? and what are your own thoughts on what is good or bad. Apply the idea to your reality.

2. #22 TheAtmansPath, Dec 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2012
    neither of those sound like what I think, both examples of absolutism given asserted that some form of morality existed. apparently im confusing it but if so that wasnt a very clear/good article.

I agree with "This brand of moral absolutism contends that, while context and situation may be a factor in an action's merit or value, in the end, whether an action is "right" or "wrong" does not simply depend on an individual's relative beliefs of right and wrong. " that part

3. #23 TheAtmansPath, Dec 19, 2012
    I guess I would ask the populace to figure out their own morals and gimmi a list and i'd use the most popular ones. but even then I'd disagree with many.

So... my own morals are don't do things to others you don't want them to do to you, and don't force others to do things they don't want to do, and don't harm innocent people (really don't harm anyone but that gets taken to the extreme and im like alright hurt the kitten-burner then but it won't unburn kittens)

don't take what isn't mine, don't lie harmfully (self protection is ok lying in my book.) but at the same time take responsibility for yourself and your actions.

I don't think that "common morality" adds weight to my beliefs though, any more than common perception(see: black people are subordinate creatures) although many of those are also found across the world to various degrees. I apply them to my reality but those are general thoughts on good and bad.

4. #24 esseff, Dec 19, 2012
    I liked that. You're at a point where you're ironing out the details now. You've basically got it, in the same way that many might say similar things, just in another way. As you carry on in life, you'll refine things more and more, see each aspect clearer and clearer, until, and this has happened many times already, you experience a shift into what is basically a new reality that is quite different to what was there before. We often call this having an epiphany, but there are other words that describe it too.

All that matters is the frequency of the vibrations your ideas generate within you, or the spirit of them, if you prefer it in old money. This is why all this has always been science for me. Why the very principles that science knows are right must work in all situations and all conditions to be correct. There must be a unified theory of everything that encompasses every possible truth or way of seeing things that each knows to be real through experience, but has no real way of revealing through the limitation that is words.

To realise that the way we see the world is fundamentally right, and that all aspects of it, even those we have a hard time accepting because we have no real evidence through our own experience that it is so, are also right in some way, that we can step into a kind of present wholeness that feels quite different to the way we've been used to living.

That is the result of being open to seeing things as they are, not as they appear to be.

5. "Turn on, tune in, drop out"

6. #26 TheAtmansPath, Dec 19, 2012
    Making up the rules just seems silly to me. Especially deciding what the rules are now and looking back and condemning other ideas of morality of the past.
    What makes having a moral system (though invented and universally speaking, arbitrary) better than not having a moral system?

and yes. but I will reiterate that I do not think anything can make something be right or wrong, not just that beliefs can't make something right or wrong

7. The underlined part is a good basis towards creating your own "ethical model"

8. Especially deciding what the rules are now vs and looking back and condemning other ideas of morality of the past.

So alternatively its better to give up? Your not making any sense now.:(

9. Give up what?

Now who's not making any sense :p

there is nothing to give up because there is no morality nor any objective and fallacy free standard to weigh actions of cultures of the past, present, or future

10. Giving up on the value of your own sense of right and wrong from what you have learnt through past experience.

Forget about trying to objectify everything its a exercise in subjectivity.

11. I have my own sense of right and wrong, I just do not hold them of much higher authority than anyone else's or think they're proper for a societally imposed moral framework. That doesn't seem like giving up to me.

Its to each his own in my view, and that seems like success rather than giving up. if more people were "to each his own" on morals we might not have so many problems. Then again, we might have more :D

I dunno. Im not losing my sense of personal moral though

12. Keep thinking :D

13. tipping people is fucking stupid and un ethical

but i still do it because i am ethical

thats all i got to say on the subject