Whats wrong with this girl

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by herbalthumb, Aug 8, 2020.

1. She's been like this for about 3 days. Just wilting leaves and dormant. Shes 4 weeks I to veg. Air Temps sit at at a solid 75 for the most part and the rez floats around 70. Ph stays between 5.8 and 6.5. Ppm are around 500. I did a full flush 24 hrs ago and she's still like this. 20200808_090935.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. I'd suggest over watering

Edit Shit I just realized it in the Hydroponic section!! :huh:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Humidity?

4. They might be getting too much food and/or light.
    500 ppm would injure my autos at that growth stage.
    Whenever my hydro plants have trouble, I raise lights to 36 inches and reduce feed to about 350 ppm for a few days.

• Like Like x 1
  5. After some heavy reading and investigating im thinking its some kind of nute lock. She hasn't been eating and the ph seems to drift higher and higher. So I just did a flush, recalibrated my meters and filled the rez up half its normal amount with ¹/⁴ strength nutes and exactly 5.8 ph. Let's hope for the best. This girl has been growing like a beast right out the gate and I was just about to pull clones for my other room.

6. you are on the right path to recovery. flushing was the first thing to do. what was the pH before flush. if the pH swings to far you would get lock out of certain elements. I had a drooping symptom similar to your picture on more drooping. it was sad. the day before I had replaced the solution with new, do it each week. the next day I had the droops and suspected nitrogen toxicity. I drained and flushed. filled the reservoir with fresh pH-ed water for 3 days. This helped flush the plants storage system and they plumped up and were back to normal in three day. added regular rate nutrient and enjoyed a great harvest when it fin wished.

let me know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  7. So you flushed for 3 days straight with just phd water?

8. Sorry just saw in hydro.. whatever happens in soil from overwatering is what is happening here tho probably..
    So.. the roots arent getting adequate air?? Look at how similar my plant was from overwatering.. vs normally ..
    Same problems happen in hydro.. just different way..
    Im going w lack of air to roots.. are you getting enough air in there?

Attached Files:

9. I have 3 airstones in an 8 gal bucket. I'm sure thats enough yeah?

10. Correction, did not run straight water, but that would be a solution also. after checking my daily journals, I drained down half of the solution and added fresh water to dilute from 1135ppm to about 500ppm.
    7/16/18 This photo is what I observed the day after changing the nutrient solution causing the N toxicity. all 3 plant showing the same symptoms.
    IMG_2347.JPG

7/20/18 4 days later, completely recovered. this all happened 2nd week of veg.
    Image.jpeg

9/20/18 bountiful harvest. 3 Harlequin Jo (Freedom Baby) 3'x8' scrog trellis, 33 ounces of flower.
    IMG_2743.JPG
    .JPG

• Like Like x 1
  11. Well after 3 flushes the ph has stabilized and the leaves are starting to perk back up. I have no nutrients in is rn just hydroguard. I will most likely put a very low dose of food her in a bit. Thanks for the tips. Beautiful ladies btw BlueGreen

12. Oh also.. i want to throw this in.. THE TIME OF DAY.. that you check can SEVERLY altar how a plant appears.. look at leaves like arms on plants .. they raise their arms during the day to reach for the sun.. and near to lights off.. they put their arms down.. to relax sorta.. heres my plants leaves relaxing.. vs 6 hrs earlier during daytime a bit back.. notice top leaves.. wayyy up.. but when she knows lights out time is near.. she really droops .. not sure why .. many theories.. ( protect from cold.. make it harder for bugs to land on her.. hold in energy.. etc) .. but she was very healthy at that time and has always done this..

Attached Files:

13. hi Rollerboy232,
    thats a great observation. in the world off horticulture that behavior is call "Photo tropism".
    a tropism is when a plant reacts to a natural force. "Photo" refers to light. there are other tropisms too. a common one is wind tropism. in windy regions trees will form into one sided trees with all the branches forming on the down wind side. the difference in the two examples is a photo tropism is a reaction for the need for light in the day. the wind example is the tree is hoping to survive by not developing weak growth on the windy side if the tree. the Columbia Gorge in the Pacific Northwest is a region with thousands of examples of one sided trees.

14. Yeah I know about the morning leaf droop. However she had been like that 3 days straight. This isn't my only grow I got going. I got two grape apes I'm about to chop down 20200731_195428.jpg 20200731_195346.jpg

15. Herbalthumb,
    Nice Grape Apes, yesterday you sad your problem plant had started to plump up after 3 flushes. How's it look now.?

16. I will post an updated picture in about 45 min when the lights come back on.

17. Lights just came on so shes still waking up but I can definitely see signs of recovery. I pit about 150 ppms in her rez yesterday and she ate over half that so I bumped it up to 200. Ph is a steady 6.0 20200810_181651.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Looks good, excellent work Dr. herbalthumb.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks for the help.