What's wrong with my seedling?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by pitbullfan, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Hey GC,

So this will be my second micro grow...if I can get the seedling to make it. it is also the second time I have germinated this strain. Both times now the seedling sprouts, looks good for a day, then looks like its been too hot, over nuted, or some shit. However I doubt it's either of the two.

Temps are running right at 72 F constant.
    3 CFLs (23W) 24/0
    Humidity 45-50%
    Grow Medium - Coco fiber / perlite
    Watering with straight distilled water

My other grow started in similar fashion, but has made a decent recovery and flowering nicely. But I was hoping this one would go better, but its starting the same way. Is it something I'm doing wrong? Or is it just this strain is tough to get started? I'm pretty sure its something I'm not doing right. Looking for tips, any help or advice appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Damn 150 views and no advice? C'mon where y'all at?

3. Too close to the CFLs maybe.

Just plain coco? I tried a coco/soil mix 2 years ago but wasn't so great, soil is much better.

Can you make a photo with the CFLs?

4. Are you letting drops of water sit on the leaves under the light?

Water droplets can act like a magnifying glass and cause burn spots on the leaves

5. What kind if perlite did you use? Miracle grow still has nutes in it....

6. Only thing it looks like to me is the lack of nutrients (cotyledons are yellowing, meaning lack of w/e), or as CE1122 said the droplets of water due to the humidity perhaps?

Other than that it's definitely not too hot

Edit: It's probably a deficiency now that I re look at it. The new growth seems okay but the lower leaves are yellowing, which will probably spread upwards (mobile nutrient) as growth continues.

7. #7 WaffenGrow, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2013
    Whats your light schedule? Was strange I started out 24/0 and my seedlings looked sad like yours, gave it a night cycle and perked right up.

There is also such a thing as too much light, very young plants can be over powered, usually because they are losing too much water from their fragile leaves.

Edit: edit: re read it, you're waterin with distilled water in that medium, above post is most likely right

8. Thanks guys. The perlite is just plain sponge rock perlite, no nutes that I know of. I don't think they're too close to the light, there's at least 6 inches or more of space between them.

I think you guys are right though, about deficiency/lack of nutes. My last one started out really rough like these, gave it some nutes and it perked up. I just always thought the seed/cotyledons gave it all the nutes it needs until it has like 3-4 nodes? I will try using a very light dose of nutes once she dries out again.

Interesting thought about the light schedule too, she been under 24 hour since i put the seed in the dirt. Maybe I'll do 18/6 for a while?

Either way thanks a lot guys.

Pit

9. Marijuana doesn't need a dark cycle until flowering, but economical if light usage is an issue. Also, the cotyledons will provide some nutes, but they're small. Think of a plant out on it's own in the earth. It starts with all the nutes it will ever need for eternity and the cotyledon/seed just helps stabilize it and pass to the next stage of it's life since it's very fragile.

Goodluck!