What's wrong with my baby?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by PersianStar, Mar 6, 2012.

1. So this is my little lady and as you can see she isn't looking too good, I was wondering what could be wrong with her? She's the bigger plant but the little one I have going is also showing signs of her "illness". Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Attached Files:

2. Looks like over watering to me. More lighting maybe?

3. i agree looks like over watering

4. What lighting and how far away?

5. Hmm over watering? I've been watering her every three days 1-2 liters depending on how dry the soil feels. Is it an issue of too much at once or not enough during the days I don't water? I'm sorry I'm new at this and don't want her to die :( I thought it could be a Zinc issue but I don't know, I appreciate all the help though.

As for lighting she's set up with three 14watt LED panels, about 4-5 inches away from here on her top, left and right side.

6. #6 colafarmer, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
    More info...;)..Lighting, nutrients, soil, water, ph, ventilation etc...

Definately need more light in the right spectrum....

7. As for lighting she's set up with three 14watt LED panels, about 4-5 inches away from here on her top, left and right side.

Her soil is Miracle Grow moisture control

Watering her every three days

I don't know her ph :(

At the moment I'm trying to rig up a computer fan for her to have incoming air, in the mean time I've been letting her stay open while she's having her awake time to try and get new air in. I have a grow closet btw

8. #8 colafarmer, Mar 7, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2012
    Rule of thumb for lighting is 100 actual watts per plant and more is always better....
    Some additional 6500K(veg)cfl's would help....
    Without proper lighting the plant will uptake nutes slow so, be careful not to over feed and get a salt build up in the soil.

PH should be 6.2-6.8 with 6.5 as optimal to avoid nute lockout. Your going to need a way to check your ph and maintain a 6.5 PH...
    Ph problems are the number one cause of most deficiencies...;)

MG soil usually has time release fertilizer and will haunt you eventually...

What fertilizer, supplements are you using with NPK ratios?
    What strain?..bagseed or.....
    What water... tap, filtered, distilled or, ro.....
    What's the temp especially at the root zone...

9. I didn't know that about MG soil, what should I switch her too?

I'll make sure to get her better lights soon, the last thing I want for her is to die, lol it's like having a child.

What fertilizer, supplements are you using with NPK ratios? I'm using liquid MG houseplant food the ratio is 8-7-8

What strain? She's most likely a Sour Diesel from her smell, almost 100% sure

What water? I fill plastic jugs with tap water and let it distill for more then 24 hours before giving it to her.

What's the temp especially at the root zone? I'm not entirely sure nor am I sure how to check that, I know I'm a complete novice but I really love that you're giving me such great input. The temp in her grow closet is normally in the mid 70's if that helps at all.

10. Without more specs I'm gonna say you need more light. From your one picture the led panels your running look like the one I got off eBay. After getting it in the mail and hooking it up for supplemental lighting I took it down. The gain would have been negligible, with only 3 of those panels I can not see how you'll finish that plant properly. You can tell she looks stretched, If you can return them and get a HID light. Remember this is just my two pennies, be safe.

11. definately over watering. the leaves are drooping down bad and you can tell the soil is very wet from the pics. Just dont water for a while/

12. 1 liter of water still seems like a lot for that

13. I'll be getting her new and better lights very soon, also looking into new soil, how much should I water her?

14. I learned this the hard way. All last year, people told me only to water when the top of the soil is dry and or if the plant literally looks like its drying out. MJ likes drier soil I guess. Just wait until the top soil is dry until you rewater.

15. #15 colafarmer, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
    Proper lights and spectrum will make a major improvement so the plant can photosynthesis and uptake nutes.
    Watering is best done by lifting the pot and noticing the weight...A light pot will need water. Water till you get runoff and be sure you have good drainage....By all means get a ph pen...;)

A better soil is one that dose not have TR fertilizer added....

16. Got it! I put some temp lighting in her grow room for now until I can get her better one's, plus looked into new soil and picked out Sunshine Mix 4 like some sticky thread's suggested. Thank you all for the help I truly appreciate it, I'll keep you updated on her condition.

17. Excellent choice on the potting soil..:)
    With any potting soil I would recommend adding xtra perlite. Maybe 1-2 cups per gallon of soil to help root oxygenation, drainage and soil texture.

There are better fertilizers other than Miracle Grow. A simple, easy, inexpensive one part fert is Dynagro's, grow/bloom and protek. General Hydroponics line is another...

With low light levels you don't want to go full strength fert, 1/4-1/2 is fine, as the plant will not uptake all the nutes and lead to salt build up. If the plant looks like it needs more or, less adjust as needed....
    Acquire a keen eye for signs of deficiencies and you will be fine...;)

Don't expect to see over night results with your plants but, you will start noticing healthy growth in a week or,so...

18. Here is a great soil less mix I have gotten from somewhere on the web and have had great success with. This can also be a base for an awesome all organic grow.

6 parts Pro Mix BX or HP / Sunshine Mix (any flavor from #1 up) / Fox Farm Ocean Forest or Light Warrior
    2 parts perlite
    2 parts earthworm castings
    Powdered (NOT PELLETED) dolomite lime @ 2 tablespoons per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of the soil less mix.
    If you use a 3 qt. saucepan as “parts” in the amounts given above, it equals about 1 cu. ft. of soil less mix and you can just dump in a cup of powdered dolomite lime. The dolomite lime is for Ca. and Mg. not just to adjust the PH of the soil.

19. And here is a great recipe If you want to use organic nutrients like Blood meal, Bone meal and Kelp meal...
    Dry Fertilizers:

1 tablespoon Blood meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
    2 tablespoons Bone meal per gallon or 1 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
    1-tablespoon kelp meal per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of soil mix
    or Maxicrop 1-0-4 powdered kelp extract as directed
    (OPTIONAL) 1 tablespoon per gallon or 1/2 cup per cubic foot of Jersey Greensand to supplement the K (potassium) in the Kelp Meal and seaweed extract.

Mix all the dry nutrients into the soil less mix well and wet it, but don't soak it. Use Liquid Karma and water @ 1 tbs./gal. Stir and mix it a few times a week for a week or two so the bacteria can get oxygen and break down the nutrients and make it available. And don't let the mix dry out, keep it moist and add water as needed. It'll also have time to get the humic acids in the Liquid Karma going and the dolomite lime will be better able to adjust the pH of a peat based mixture too.

With this recipe, all you need to do is add plain water until harvest.

20. Thank you all so much, so far I put better lights in and she looks much more perky, I've been lifting her up and testing the weight to insure better watering practice, plus getting her new soil soon. I'm so glad I joined GC :) thanks a bunch guys! More updates with pictures soon.