Whats wrong with Miracle Gro?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Gwinkle, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Ive seen a few posts now mentioning that miracle gro is very bad why is this?

2. It nute burns the shit out of your plants.

3. Can you easily dilute it to normal levels or is it -that- strong?

4. I use it but just for the fact that all that other junk coast an arm and a leg. Its not bad. And it works just fine but can burn plants up if its to strong just like you said just dilute it and all is well. MG is just not. A cannabis fert its for a lil bit of all plants. No shame in using it in my mind

5. On the other hand, their organic potting soil is practically devoid of nutes.

6. There isn't anything wrong with it. It's actually pretty good being that it's 20-20-20 and has a bunch of minerals ect. People are just stupid and don't know the difference between a teaspoon and a table spoon

7. Lol ill go with you on the measurements lol

8. Miracle Gro is a brand, you have to pin down what product you are talking about.

Their fertilizers are general-purpose chemical ferts and are no better or worse than other chemical ferts from companies like Peters, Schultz, etc. You could do much better by getting some organic ferts.

Their potting soil is the real problem, they put time-released ferts into the soil that are too strong for young MJ plants, will burn the roots and can kill them. MJ doesn't need any ferts at all for the first 2-3 weeks, the time-released starts putting them into the soil right away. You can't flush the nutes out either, flushing will just cause more of the fert pellets to melt and put even more ferts into your soil. In addition, you cannot control the balance of the nutrients you are giving your plant -- MJ's nutrient needs change during its life cycles, and your nutes should too, but you can't do that if they are already built into the soil. Some folks have grown successfully in Miracle Gro potting soil, but far too many have killed their plants this way. There are plenty of other soil choices.

Miracle Gro organic soil has gotten mixed reviews. On one hand, it is all organic, on the other hand they can (and I believe do) make nutrients from organic ingredients and add it to the soil. Probably OK to use if nothing else available, I would advise cutting it with something like sphagnum moss, perlite, etc.

Miracle Gro also adds time-released ferts to some of their other products that you wouldn't necessarily think to check. For example, they definitely add ferts to their sphagnum moss and to their perlite, so steer clear of that brand for those products.

9. Good post as allways Toasty :) I figured I would put my two cents in since I just got done using MG organic on my last grow (for the same price/availability reasons) I struggled with nute burn the enitre time. The buds came out nice but yeild i think was severely affected. I cut the soil with perlite and vermiculite. Never could get a good idea of what nutes it needed because they were allready there. Also, I encountered a severe fungas gnat problem from that soil. When I say severe I mean it was freaking ridiculous!!! I know I'm not the only one that encountered that problem. So if you do use it. Make sure you bake the soil in the oven first to kill all those little bastids. Hontestly, you are better off looking for something else. I was fortunate enough to find a nursery here that uses sunshine mix. LOVE IT! If your town has a nursery go ask them if they are willing to part with some of their soil. I'm sure they don't use MG. Never encountered a nursery that does. Anywho, I suggest you steer clear of it. But if you can't it will work. Just watch for nute burn. Good luck to you in your upcoming adventure.

Peace,

Schism:smoke:

EDIT: Yes, MG organic has a high amount of time released fertz in it as well. I grabbed the organic since I thought it didn't. After further inspection of the bag "This product feeds plants up to 3months..."