Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Whats wrong with me?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Cuh Cuh, Feb 8, 2011.

1. I've been smoking for about 2 years and pretty much daily for ~1 1/2 of those. I mostly just smoke at night or in the evenings with friends. I have done the whole high all day thing but I generally only smoke a couple bowls or a j at night and maybe during the day a couple times a week. Anyway, for about a year I had no problems and then one winter I started noticing that after I smoked my lungs were a little sensitive to the cold but no biggie.

A month or two after noticing it I had just smoked and went out into maybe 30-40 degree weather and my chest started getting tighter and tighter and I started shivering like crazy until I got my car warmed up. Not a pleasant experience so I slowed down on the smoking somewhat and didn't have that experience again that winter.

So, I kept on smoking and steadily smoking more and more for another ~6-8 months without a problem and then out of nowhere I start to occasionally have issues breathing after smoking. Felt like my throat was swelling up or my lungs just couldn't take in the air that got into my lungs. This time though it didn't even have to be cold for my lungs to get irritated so I figure I'm sick or something and it'll clear up and I keep smoking the ganja. But for the next few months it starts happening more and more and gets to the point where sometimes I had fairly labored breathing after smoking but it still wasn't enough for me to consider stopping because it was an on and off thing.

Fast foward to last night. I had just eaten a fire cracker and smoked a blunt and felt the familiar sensation of my lungs/throat feeling like they are closing off their oxygen receptors or something. But this time it wasn't just a few minutes of slightly labored breathing, I almost called the cops/drove myself to the hospital because I just felt like I wasn't bringing in enough oxygen for what felt like ages(and I was very high). But I've done enough drugs that even if my mind starts freaking out I have that voice in the back that says just chill and it'll pass so I sat down started breathing deep and waited it out.

Obviously after this experience I don't plan on smoking for a while but today for the first time I've had trouble breathing and sensitivity to cold when I didn't smoke beforehand. For a while I again seriously considered calling the police because I just wasn't able to breathe well for hours.

I know it was dumb to keep smoking daily after it got worse but I have stoner friends who have gotten sick, had lung issues but just kept smoking and after a while it went away. Mild asthma seems like a good diagnosis but I've never breathing issues before and it was a mostly on/off type deal until recently. Maybe I've had bronchitis for the past few months or something? Idk but I don't want to spend money on a doctor just yet.

Shit, I didn't mean to write my life story here but this has kinda spooked me and I'm wondering if anyone has had/heard of a similar experience.

inb4 get a vape, planning on it with the money I save not smoking.

2. I have no clue what's up with your lungs, but my best advice is to talk to a doctor about it. Ask him whats up, and he'll give you a no-shit answer (usually, which is what second opinions are for). I wish you the best, bro.

3. I didn't read that whole mess because I am baked to shit. Anyway, it is perfectly normal to feel cold after smoking, I shiver sometimes too if the temperature is a bit cold.

4. Have you had your tonsils removed?

5. should have keept on reading, that wasnt even his Maine question. so yea u sure your just not feelin so high that your makin shit up?

6. You should cut out all blunts IMMEDIATELY and switching to vape/edibles only wouldn't be a bad idea

7. Yea, I'll probably end up going tomorrow if my breathing doesn't improve. Not trying to spend the money but gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

I don't blame you I probably wouldn't read the book I made either. But its more than just shivering, my chest gets really tight and I start shivering uncontrollably even in 30-40 degree temp which really isn't that low. I'm not that cold but my lungs are if that makes sense.

Don't think so but I could've when I was younger. Why?

Lol, don't think so! I thought that too at first but it kept happening and its even happening today when I haven't smoked.

Yea I'm cutting out smoking in general for a while at least but definently no more blunts.

Thanks guys.

8. Just smoke weed.

9. The reason tonsils were brought is because they help filter shit that goes down your throat, to put it in short terms.
    Without tonsils, your more succeptible to getting sick and rhat smoke damaging you. Definetly get a vape, wether your tonsils were removed or not because that sounds a bit serious.

10. I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this, but the symptoms you're describing actually sound an awful lot like asthma to me (i have it). For example, "oxygen receptors being turned off" is a pretty valid way to describe what asthma acting up feels like. If this turns out to be the case though, it shouldn't be too big of a deal. most people agree that smoking weed actually helps asthma symptoms.

11. No blunts and no sativa's for you anymore. The tightness in the chest could have been an panic attack from a racy sativa.. Happens to me from time to time.. Why anyone puts marijuana in a tobacco leaf is beyond me. What a waste of good smoke..

12. Thats the idea, man, but highs aren't enjoyable anymore when I can't breathe.

Yea, thats what I was thinking but you say weed should help and my problems only happen when I smoke weed. Never had a problem with my lungs before smoking but from what I've heard asthma matches some of my symptoms so it may be.

Well, tightness only happens when I'm out in the cold after smoking, so unless there are cold induced panic attacks I don't think its that. I love blunts but I generally smoke bowls/joints because I work out 5 days a week and I want my lungs in relatively good shape.

At this point I'm thinking I have some sort of mild asthma that is triggered by smoke/cold and is getting progressively worse so it looks like I'm done with the ganja for a while.

13. Well, I woudln't count yourself out of smoking just yet. Sometimes my asthma acts up after smoking, but it's just the act of smoking it that does it (this is my theory anyway). I don't think taking a break would fix that. And cold air triggers asthma, smoking or not, so you'd probably be doing yourself a favor to just avoid that. Anyway, just try taking smaller hits or take a few minutes between hits, that's what I do if i'm having a rough sesh and it works pretty well.

14. The tightness in the chest, swelling of the throat and unable to get oxygen can also be anaphylaxsis.

15. The reason I want to take a break is that it seems to be getting progressively worse. It started out with a little sensitivity to cold after smoking and then I noticed it was slightly harder to breathe after toking sometimes and now recently I have actual labored breathing after. Another thing is cold doesn't affect my lungs unless I just smoked, well before today at least. I do tend to smoke take large hits and take them quickly nowadays though so I'm gonna try to space my hits out more. Sometimes I'll be halfway through a joint and realize I haven't taken a breath of pure air since I started the j.

As in allergic to weed? That would suck

16. I've had something similar like this happen to me, but now I vaporize and I do not really have this problem anymore.