What's with the small torches

Discussion in 'Concentrate Tools' started by jason1388, Aug 7, 2012.

1. haha duuuuuude I really didn't think I had to say that.. put it up to full blast and you'll see a huge decrease in the time it takes to heat up. and no, my nail was less than that, pretty standard.

2. I did not think the size of the flame mattered that much. Guys, I live in Colorado which is very dry, torch safety is something to consider.

3. Lol.... not sure if serious.... :laughing:

4. Haha. As long as your not torching your nail with something behind it that could light on fire. Turn it up to full man

5. i just got through testing and comparing torches a few weeks ago. me and my buddy ordered vector nitros last month, to upgrade from the cheapo $27 bernz-o-matic butane torches from the home deopt and culinary torches.
    i use my nitro turned about 2/5 of the way up, i light it on low then adjust it up, it heats my 14mm Ti nail in 13 seconds, iv timed it. on slightly higher heat, about halfway up or a little more, my buddys nitro heats his 18mm nail in abut 20 seconds. in both cases we heat our titanium nails to a fully glowing cherry red heat on the top dish.
    the home depot torch took nearly a minute to heat the 18mm nail, it was something like 48 seconds when i timed it. the same torch heated my 14mm nail in around 30-40 seconds.
    1 tip for faster heating (at least with a titanium nail), is to heat your nail starting with the side. the nitro should wrap its flame around the top dish of the nail, once that side is red move up to the top aiming down into the top dish, the other side and middle should glow red in a couple seconds after that. heating like this saved about 10 seconds off heating the 18mm nail with the nitro , compared to aiming the torch directly down at the center of the top dish the whole time, which took more like 30 seconds instead of 20. watch your hands and surrounding stuff though, if your hand anything else is on the other side of the nail from the torch its gonna burn fast.

6. I will never use anything, in my own home, except a Vector torch filled with Vector butane. Take a piece of glass (like an old candle holder or something that isnt valuable) and hold a normal, butane lighter on it for 10 seconds. There will be a black ashy, film. Do the same thing with a vector torch, and you won't see a damn thing.

7. You're not understanding

Propane torches do, for a fact, create a layer of titanium oxide "dust" on the outermost layer of the titanium.

Butane, on the other hand, does not produce this specific oxide.

No matter what you heat titanium with there will for a fact be a layer of oxidization. Talk to taskrok (the creator/owner of Highly Educated) about his E-Nails; an even layer of oxidization is one of the bonuses of the E-Nail. Propane produces a specific oxide (titanium oxide) that is very poisonous to humans.

8. #28 AfganiKush, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012

You seem angry at me for some reason. And i am a bit confused. I never denied anything you said in bold. I said if he is using propane i would guess his nail is already oxidizing/oxidized moreso than normal. I also said that propane oxidizes much quicker than butane which as far as i know is true. I have not seen any evidence that supports your claims. You are saying that propane produces a unique oxide which is different from that produced by butane. If you have some proof please share, as this seems to be a gray area for everyone.
    From what i understand as long as Ti is touching o2 there is a layer of ti oxide on the outside. Temps round 2100 F induce oxidation within the metal much faster. Nowhere have i found evidence of propane reacting with titanium differently than butane. From what i have read it has to do with the temps of the ti not the propellant in the torch. Again if you have some scientific knowledge you have been withholding, by all means set the record straight and prove me wrong. Otherwise your claims are merely that, and i would take anything said by the owner of a company that would help his product, with a grain of salt. I personally know nothing about HE and their business, but unless their founder has a degree in chemistry or w/e the proper field would be to understand chemical reactions in metal, his words dont prove a whole lot to me.
    Id like to add that i also thought that propane had some kind of reaction with ti. But after reading through another thread in here on ti dioxide, i havent seen evidence that propane interacts differently. Temps being the real factor. But if you have some information on this please share it, as im sure theres quite a few people like me who are unsure about this subject.

9. #29 USSChallenger, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2012
    Please do some more research, while you are correct about the minimal oxide layer being formed on titanium no matter what (guess what, it forms without the aid of any heat at all, just slower) you are incorrect about propane torches producing a different kind of oxide (its all the same titanim oxide, created from titanium reacting with...wait for it, oxygen!). The reason propane is worse to use, besides the co2 emissions, is that the flame burns about 1,000 degrees hotter than that of a butane torch, increasing the likelihood of excess oxidation, which could then flake off and become introduced into the body. It is also very near the melting point of titanium, which could cause countless other potential issues.

Please, stop spreading half truths.

10. hmm reviving an old, old topic. just got my first oil rig yesterday and picked up the bernzomatic $30 torch at orchards. i bought two of the bernzomatic butane refills for $4.99. after seasoning my he dualiti (5-6 times), I've had to refill the little torch 3 times. but off point. i was just wondering, does it matter what type of butane i put/use for heating up my nail? I've heard some speculation that there is such a thing as "clean butane" and "dirty butane". just wanted to get some more insight on that from someone more knowledgeable. 

also, with the bernzomatic torch, i cannot get the entire nail GLOWING red. I got the nail an amberish red when I seasoned it because I figured it wouldn't go any hotter. I'm jsut wondering if this is hot enough for my hits? cause I took a decent sized glob just right now and the moment i dabbed, the initial 80% of the glob went smoothly and perfectly and vaped as normal but right towards the end, there was a huge bubbling session of liquid and then a tiny pool of liquid settled around the edge of my dish. i'm wondering what my error was in terms of either temperature, size of dab, timing of dab (I lit the nail up on a corner til it was amber and then waited 4-5 seconds then dabbed). if anyone can help a new dabber out with some tips and techniques on how to know when your nail is ready would be great.