Whats with the pax hate?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Teal, Dec 16, 2014.

1. It seems like people don't like the pax. I plan on getting one myself so I wanna know why so many people hate it?

2. Because it is one of the least efficient vapes if not the least efficient.

The firefly is a better choice..it doesn't constantly vaporize the herb when you aren't hitting it like the pax does, so it's more efficient plus it doesn't smell as strong during use.

3. #3 lwien, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2014
    It is a conduction based vape and therefore, will ALWAYS be cooking your herb as it's heating up, in-between hits and as it's cooling down.      Why is this a bad thing?    Because of the way the Pax operates, it will:

Smell more than other portables.
    It will require more cleaning than other portables.
    It will not be as efficient as other portables.
    It won't taste as good as other portables.

And........you get all of the above at the upper price ranges of portables.

The only thing that it really has going for it is it's small-form stealth factor but that stealth factor is mitigated by the increased smell that the Pax puts out.

Edit:   hehehe............FourTwenty beat me to it by a minute.

4. What about the fact that the light turns blue after so many seconds of non-use to indicate that it's temperature is not high enough to vaporize?

5. #5 lwien, Dec 16, 2014

30 seconds to be exact but even in standby, the bud is still being cooked, albeit at a lower temp than originally set.

Again, being that it is basically 100% conduction, the bud in that bowl is constantly in contact with heated surfaces and for me, I'd MUCH prefer a vaporizer that only applies heat when you are hitting it.

6. lwien is correct, even when blue the unit is still warm enough to be lightly cooking your material and since having a pax for about 6 months, I can tell you you are generally not going to put it down for 30 seconds in between, I generally take the hits I need, then turn it off and try to make my sessions quick to avoid extra cooking of my herb.

lwien is also spot on that the only really positive this has over other portables is the stealth look factor which is the reason the girlfriend and I went with the pax, but again, as it is heating up and while you are using it it does put out a strong weed smell in the surrounding area. 

Also if you use the unit on a daily basis, you will have to give it a good cleaning about once a week, definitely a high maintenance vape.

Having said all that, I do still like my pax, definitely gives me a good high and is great in certain situations, but it definitely is not better than a lot of the portables out there. 

7. So I looked up info on the standby mode and it says it's 302 degrees which wouldn't vaporize and thc or cbn. How can the herb be wasted?

8. That isn't entirely accurate, and the herb chamber just stays pretty warm after you have gotten it to full heat...You aren't wasting a huge amount, but definitely more than a vaporizer that uses convection instead of conduction like the pax.

9. Thanks dude!

It means the Pax is a crappy vape with a blue light. :)

11. #11 Steams71, Dec 16, 2014
    I don't hate the pax at all, I've never used one so can't say. I do, however hate the fanboys that insist that it's the best vape in the world and won't listen to reason.  Same can be said for a lot of volcano fanboys too.

I would definitely not say it is a crappy vape, as long as you upkeep it well it does work for its purposes.

I agree, I don't like when people blindly defend anything that clearly has drawbacks, just because they have already spent the money. Pax has a couple advantages, definitely some disadvantages, but is an okay portable overall.

13. The pax is great for when you only want to vape that one bowl until you get back home. Loading it is fucking annoying. Plus dropping it and the herb exploding all over is annoying too. However, it lasts for at least 5 bowls (battery wise), tastes great, smells up to 50 feet away id say, and definitely gets me high. I don't see what the big deal is over scraps of weed being wasted. It's like hitting a bowl and the bowl smoking a bit after you put the pipe down, and not even that much. I use it literally everywhere I go every single day and have had it for 3 months now

14. Damn whys it so annoying to pack it? Is it cause you use the extra screen to really pack it tight? And is your estimate of 50ft to smell it for outside or Inside?

15. #15 njnerd, Dec 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2014
    Inside, at concerts people are always looking around for the smell lol. I had like 60 people staring at me once but I have a med card so idc. It's annoying because its best to make the bud into like powder or hard to pick out chunks so it's heated properly and evenly. I take 5-10 hits on green then mix up the bud so it will be evenly distributed again. I get between 20-30 hits off of .2 lol. It is 22-32% thc though. It's just really small so loading you need like a funnel or paper to make into a come for the weed to slide down into the chamber, I still recommend it for smoking on the move WAY less smelly than smoking.

16. Damn 33 percent? That's some crazy good bud! Yeah man that sounds like a lot of tokes for a .2! I'm so excited to purchase a pax tonight!

17. Morning...I use the Pax everyday, all day. It's my main vape. I've had it for 2 years now and I used the vapecritic as my guide before I bought it. I own an MFLB and a Solo and they sit in a drawer. The Pax works real well but then I have nothing other than those two to compare it to. Prices on the new vapes are astronomical and the Pax is pretty well priced considering. I recently watched a review of a few new portables and they're all well over 300, and some over 400. That's nuts :eek:
    I don't find that it gives off a lot of smoke. But it does eat a lot of bud. At least compared to what I'd smoke in a bowl. I do use it on the go and I take it everywhere. I've never used it in a public arena so that's not something I can address. You do need to clean it regularly to keep things working properly.
    I am curious now about these different technologies, the heating chambers, and will definitely look into this further.
    I will say that the Vapecritic lists the Pax as one of the best, he uses it regularly, and that's out of all portables he's reviewed. Which is a bunch. Including the new Firefly which I believe he liked a lot.
    Good discussion...thanks guys.. :hello:
    H

18. I'm curious about this. It kind of goes to a discussion I was in about covering your bud during decarb in an oven. Maybe :laughing:  That was a good bowl I just had :ey:
    If the bud is in the Pax oven, covered like in a tray in an oven, and we add heat, material vaporizes, we toke it out. Vapor builds again and we repeat.
    Does the waiting vapor that's being created in the Pax oven escape if we don't use it, get destroyed, or does it remain in the oven w the bud?
    Is this a use it or lose it thing?
    Isn't there an effect to the vapor process w each toke as the material cools from air flow? Cycles each time.
    If you have a toke session and then turn it off, come back a bit later, stir the contents and relight it, is that material spent because of the first heating? Does all of the material in the oven get "cooked" w each session or is there a time factor, like there is in an oven for decarb, so that it takes a period of time and exposure to heat for the cannabinoids to be released?
    H

VapeCritic is but one reviewer and his reviews should NEVER be taken as gospel, just as anyone else's review shouldn't be taken as gospel.     

If one wants to make a wise purchasing decision, it's best to get reviews from those that own a variety of different vaporizers and while some of the members here fall into that category, there is no place better than at FC to find these kinds of resources.

20. I totally agree. I was a noob when I used his advice 2 years ago to get the Pax and I do like it. It was very helpful at the time.
     I'd love to pony up the $ to get a new model but dang these things are way too expensive to "try out" and stick in a drawer.