What's up with screens?

Discussion in 'General' started by WhatsaBong, Jan 18, 2012.

1. So, I picked up some screens from my local HS and was wondering if they 'do' anything bad?
    I'm not 100% sure what it's made out of, but when I set it on fire, nothing happens, It just loses some color (They're Gold)

So couple questions...
    1.) When do I change screens? Cause I don't want to smoke it on accident.
    2.) What happens if I smoke it? Will I just feel like shit or what?

2. screens are made of brass (the gold ones) and steel.

seems like steel would be safer to smoke, but I dont think they harm the smoke in anyway.

My brother seems to think they are bad however.

you can change a screen when its too clogged with resin to use anymore and no longer effectively lets the smoke through.

I like to scrape my screens with a knife though or hold a lighter to them while holding them with pliers to burn off extra resin. Saves screens and time buying them.

3. screen are safe to heat up and smoke off of. That is why they sell them at the HS. Now if you were using a window screen or something that is a little different.

Change a screen when it gets to resined up. Or just burn off the resin and toke on

4. a better thing to buy are glass screens

ask about them next time you go to your local headshop. They save space in the bowl too and look cool. a bit pricey and easy to lose however, so be careful.

5. Thanks to both of you guys :D
    I'll defiantly look for those glass ones though!

6. what piece are you using? If its glass def throw a glass screen in there.

I have always used metal with a metal pipe or bowl

7. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Sorry, but that hit me funny. really? smoke the screen by accident? ah hahahahahahaha :D okay I'll stop now :p

this is me walking away and shaking my head chuckling and muttering "smoke it on accident[" ahahahahahha :p

8. Cool story bro.

9. I rarely use screens on my glass pieces, just overall feel like a hassle.. they keep your pieces clean but with a bubbler it's a pain having to clean out the bowl to load a new one without spilling water all over lol

I use a screen for my vape though (pretty much have to).. I've had it for about a year and a half now if not longer and I'm still using the same screen it came with.

What I do whenever it gets clogged with resin/honey oil is I get a bottle of iso alchy, pour some into the cap of the bottle and let my screen soak for a few minutes.

Run it under hot water and it's like brand new :D

10. If you have a bong get a glass bowl piece with cuts in it, glass screen basically.

11. this is a good idea. I will try this next time I clean my screens.

12. I change it when it "looks" like it needs to be changed?

Its just one of those things where you should see it and be like, "looks like its time for a new screen"

13. Glass screens are good! They taste better. Plus they can be re-used. Just soak in some ISO alcohol and they'll be like new again!! If you buy like 5-6 and re-use them, you don't have to pay for screens anymore

If using metal screens, try stainless steel and not brass. I've read that some brass can have lead in it

:)

14. #14 Allmine, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
    I'll have to look for some glass screens, that's a new one on me. The stainless steel screens are supposed to last longer than the brass and they are a bit more expensive. but still very inexpensive.

The coarse won't get plugged up as much as the fine screens. I'm sure there is probably an entire thread here somewhere devoted to screens.

@WhatsaBong no insult intended, but it sure made me laugh. There's nothing wrong with worrying about what you are putting into your lungs. It just sounds so funny to me. Next time you are buying something at the HS, ask them questions if you have them.

But you did give me an idea. I wonder if they could make screens out of hemp? You wouldn't have to change them, you'd just replace them when they are done. Kind of like stitches that disolve so you don't have to have them taken out.

They'd have to be durable enough to last a session or two, and wouldn't have any THC or anything; except what it absorbed as the smoke goes thru. And it would just grow thinner and thinner as you continue to smoke, when it's gone, just put in a new one. :D :smoke: I like it.