Whats up guys

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Arkyboy, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Been around for a while, but just now taking the leap. Going to grow 4-6 autoflowering plants in a small 2x2x4 tent. Going to try to keep it as simple as possible. I am stuck on the lighting I will need though. Too much information out there for me to decipher.
    So what would be the best lighting for my setup? CFL? HPS?

Thanks for the help guys, and once I get everything set up I'm going to do a journal.

2. Welcome mate and good luck with the upcoming venture.

I personally only have experience of CFL's which so far (day 24) have been far less an issue than the first time grower mistakes! Autoflowers seem to really be happy under CFL's and there have been good examples of high yields.

You can grow autos under red spec 2700k their whole lifespan or mix it up with vegging lights until week 3 or so. Benefits vary with strain I think.

And once again... good luck budding!

3. I like what you have goin Scarem. Just gave it a look. I'll for sure be checking your progress man. Exactly what lighting do have? Any plans to change it?

4. Nah I've just got the T5's on the go and that's going to be my set up from now on. I have a 250W dual spectrum CFL which was pretty cheap and now 4x 2' T5's of which I've currently got a mix of vegging and flowering bulbs in - with some spare to change out in about 1 week.

The benefit of the CFL's for me is being able to grow some nice short bushy buds in a relatively small space. I'm not in the grow for volume as such, more interested in growing a variety for connoisseur smoking sessions! Heat doesn't become much of a problem either which is a bonus.

CFL's seem to (from what I've seen with This Lady and our very own Jetski) love autoflowering strains... or autoflowers love them! So my suggestion for a new grow would give that a try.

For the size of room you want you can probably use a similar set up to mine + 4" fan with carbon filter. The only advice I can give based upon my experience so far is start in the right size pot (7l or so), don't overwater and use good soil.

5. as long as its adequately lit you could fit a lot more plants in there. with just 4feet of hight you will likely struggle with the heat from HID lighting. a 250w hps maybe.

CFLs are great for low headroom grows. you could use 4x 125w cfls or even 4x 250w cfls.

my flower box is just 4feet high and I use 125w CFLs in there. I really stuff the autos in there though with 9-12 plants under each lamp. the plants suffer a bit but the extra numbers more than compensates with extra bud

6. Thanks guys. I am pretty sure I'm going to go with CFLs now. Opinions on side lighting for when they get thicker?

7. Also I've been looking at a lot of fans. How do I know how much of a fan I will need to create a negative pressure? I know that the carbon filters slow them down, but not sure how much.

8. Any 4" inline fan with a good passive intake will give you enough negative pressure in a room that size - even with a carbon filter.

The layout of the room should be;

passive intake > carbon filter > fan > outlet duct