What's the proper PPM?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by tweakedlogic, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I've been searching a lot. I see suggestions any where from 250 to 1600 and everything in between.

I'm growing strawberry Kush in bubblers. Only veg now, but I'm going to take some cutting to force flower very soon. I'm using Pure Blend Pro nutes + one cup urine per gallon. If I mix to directions + urine my TDS meter tells me it's 192 x10. Right now I have my res @ 391 x10 and the plants seem to be thriving.

Should I pull back or add more?
    Also, I was wondering if I should use something like CalMag or something?

2. Okay, so it seems to me that I am over feeding. 192 x10 =1920 PPM about 300 PPM higher than suggested for full grown plants. Mine are about 9" tall with two main branches each.

So i should probably cut my dose in half right?

3. #4 Bullistic, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
    Your nutrients should have a feeding chart for them. Start off with 25% of suggested nutrients and take a PPM reading. As your plant grows, it will absorb the nutrients and the water. After a day, take another ppm reading, if it is lower then the last reading, it means that your plant is taking in more nutrients so you should up the PPM. If after a day the PPM reading is higher, then your plant is taking in more water and you should lower your PPM.

Ideally you want your PPM readings to be a consistent number rather then an exact number.

FYI: I just started my first grow 2 days ago, Im doing a DWC Bubblebucket grow. So, this description is my understanding of how it works based off of my research, not my experience. If this is inaccurate, someone let me know.