what's the point of the death penalty?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Twee, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Exchange the death penalty for gladiatorial combat, and televise it.

2. How does it cost more to kill someone than to imprison them for life? That doesn't make sense to me...

3. #43 Grimm420, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
    idk why this slipped my mind. a real life Deadman Wonderland

chemicals are expensive probly

4. then we just end up with another Australia...

I'd much prefer they made life or death reality realtime survival shows with convicts that either are serving life or the death penalty.. the last one to survive still dies in the end.. but why not add some entertainment and allow for our tax dollars to be spent else where while the jails then make money from sponsors and commercial time instead

5. The article I posted above lays it out pretty clearly, if you go to it. But, it so much more expensive for the state to kill someone rather than to imprison them for life because death penalty trials are lengthy, drawn out, and include great detail, death row prisoners have to be housed in a complete different area than other prisoners, and most men or women on death row file many appeals because it is a matter of life and death.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...htm?AID=4992781&PID=4165478&SID=16v7n47orkyp7

I don't understand how/ why many people think of the death penalty in terms of a cost benefit analysis, anyway. If it's wrong to kill someone then how is it right for the state to do it? And as a taxpayer do you want your money going towards the murder of someone? What happens when someone gets the death penalty and is later found to be innocent?

6. The problem with the death penalty is wrongful conviction. You can release someone from prison but can't bring them back from the dead.

7. shit, just give little killing-frenzy-human-eating ed a time-off over in the corner :laughing:

while we're at it, lets put up some bars and throw that bastard some money so we dont seem to cruel as a race. it would be horrible if he died, just like those millions of neglected people around the globe.

8. The point of the death penalty is that certain people shouldn't live.

9. that's the same mentality a convicted murderer has when killing his/her victim

10. Not always. There are many different reasons a murderer might decide to kill someone. In any case, once you cross the line into things like child rape, child killing, serial killing, etc, you don't deserve to live and cost Americans lots of money.

11. #51 AlienBlood, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2011
    The death penalty serves two main functions:

1. Makes an example of murderers and deters potential killers through fear.
    2. Saves tax payer's money by eliminating oxygen thieves from this planet. Not all murderers can serve life (prisons will get even more overcrowded than they already are not to mention the cost factor and no bullet to the brain isn't more expensive than decades of housing, food, educational services, etc :rolleyes:...) and you're (to whom this concerns...) a bad person if you advocate sentences less than life in prison for cold blooded killers.

So the question we should all be asking is how can we make capital punishment a greater deterrent for murderers (and pedophiles, IMO they should serve life/capital punishment)? What I would do is give public executions their own designated locations. They would be public in the sense that anyone can attend them but private enough to not be visible to people passing by. We need to do this Americans come on. There is nothing barbaric about this and once the policy is in place for a couple years max the general population will be adjusted to it.

12. What do you mean what's wrong with it, it's to show that killings wrong, and hypocritical law enforcement is right :rolleyes: like others have said, seeing as people get charged with crimes they didn't commit soooooo much that is what's wrong with the death penalty.

13. [quote name='"12on12off"']

that's the same mentality a convicted murderer has when killing his/her victim[/quote]not because they think it will serve the good of the world.

14. i would definetly rather get the death penalty then spend 20 or more years in prison.

15. If a human kills another human in cold blood, then they don't deserve to live. An eye for an eye...

Plus we shouldn't waste taxpayer money on people who have obviously proven themselves to be menaces to society

16. #56 Noxnoctum, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2011
    My biggest problem with the death penalty is

You can't bring an innocent person back from the dead

I don't care what the person is accused of no death penalty period. Just put yourself in an innocent person on death row's shoes.

Also life in prison in solitary confinement is worse than death.

EDIT: some of the posts in this thread scare me. Someone seriously advocating "mutilating pedophiles on national tv"?!!?? Nevermind the fact that accused =/= guilty. It seems that people's lust for vengeance is worth more than the lives of innocents.

There seems to be a trend lately whenever famous court cases are going on to assume the suspect is always guilty. I find it very disturbing.

17. Also:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ]Supreme Court: Death Penalty Is 'Totally Badass' - YouTube[/ame]

18. American prisons maybe.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj3SMiDvjdg]A Liberal Prison System - Bastoy Island, in the fjord of Olso, Norway - YouTube[/ame]

19. "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."- Gandhi :smoke:

20. See I tend to think that putting someone away for life, they adapt, albeit an awful existence, they adapt to the structure of prison life, and their basic human needs are taken care of. Death on the other hand, everything is taken away. The ultimate punishment.

If someone, god forbid, killed a loved one, I wouldn't want the perp to sit in a prison for the next 40 or 60 years so he can have time to find peace, that's a reward that the person has forefitted.

But that's just how I see it. ya know?