Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

What's the point of the carb?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Chirf, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I mean, I guess I could see how it holds in more smoke while you're currently exhaling the hit you just took, but is there a more definitive reason behind the carb?

Just curious, really. Not that it matters. Although I do have both a carb and non-carb pipe, and the non-carb gives me better hits (from my personal observation).

2. #2 BlazeLE, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2012
    you're supposed to cover the carb when you start inhaling then let go when you're done. its so you're only sucking through the bowl and so you suck in clean air behind the hit afterwards.

that was a bad explanation but its more of something that you would show someone rather than explain to them.

edit: this should help

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19SzMU5sZSc[/ame]

3. #3 Chirf, Mar 11, 2012
    Nah man I think I get what your saying from your explanation. It makes it easier to take the hit because instead of getting all the smoke at once and air after, you get bursts of air to help make the hit easier.

Is that right, or am I kinda off? XD

Edit: Well, I guess that's what the video is for XD

4. [quote name='"Chirf"']Nah man I think I get what your saying from your explanation. It makes it easier to take the hit because instead of getting all the smoke at once and air after, you get bursts of air to help make the hit easier.

Is that right, or am I kinda off? XD[/quote]

The carb allows clean air to come in behind, pushing all the smoke out of the pipe/your mouth into your lungs, making sure none is lost!

5. Carbohydrates?

:wave:

6. You use it to clear the pipe of smoke....they usually dont work all that great tho....

7. #7 KillaWillaBilla, Mar 11, 2012
    it is to clear the pipe guys take a hit dont let go of carb and look how much smoke is still in the pipe. take a hit let go of carb and look and see how there is almost no smoke left in pipe. hence "clear the pipe/bong"

^^^ if it isnt working that great it usually means your pipe just has too small of a carb mine all work good but with cheaper pipes sometimes you get a small crappy one.

8. The carb is simply there so you can clear the pipe of smoke. If it wasnt their the pipe would stay filled with smoke between hits and your hits would all be of stale, gross smoke

9. works great for me, my little 20 dollar pipe gives me a quicker headrush than bongs or joints, plus its much better suited for smaller bowls too. put your thumb on the carb as you light up, works the same way as a bong, then release the carb when you're ready to clear and inhale.

10. I have to question your ability to hit a bong :bongin:

11. #11 Rasta Haze, Mar 11, 2012
    Just skipping down, don't know how well other answers explained it to you.

A carb let's you build up smoke. It's a constant vacuum, and it's a path between The bud and your lungs. That vacuum can only go into negative pressure. Imagine trying to peel apart a vacuum sealed item. You can't. If you want to open the bag, you have to release the vacuum and make the negative pressure neutral.

When you let go of the carb, the air and smoke stop building from the bowl because a carb is generally larger and the bud in the hole of the bowl is technically 'plugging' the other hole, so the only path of travel is now through the carb, pulling the fresh air in, clearing all the smoke into your lungs.

Most pipes have them, smaller and cheaper pieces don't.

So a carb is for clearing, without one you just keep milking the bowl. It's like a carburetor on a motor. The carbs fuel the motor with oxygen.

12. To get all of the smoke out of the pipe when you're done inhaling. Simple as that

13. to empty all the smoke out of the chamber, when the rush of air shoots into the chamber it pushes all the smoke exactly where it should go, your lungs! it also adds 'clean air' to make the hit a little smoother.

14. As with clearing the pipe of it's remaining smoke, I also like the idea that you can inhale more oxygen when your thumb isn't on the carb. Then, you can hold in the hit longer. (But we all know holding it in past 5 seconds doesn't really help) it makes it easier to hold and easier on the lungs!

15. I always thought the carb was used to draw clean air through your pipe when your about to finish your hit, kind of like pulling the bowl from a bong before inhaling a monster hit:hello::smoke:

16. The Carb Hole Is Used For Holding While inhaling the hit - step 1 inhale with finger on carb hole inhale let smoke build up let go of carb hole quickly inhale wait 5 seconds slowly blow smoke out.

17. All of the above, a carb is to a pipe as a slide is to a bong