Whats the next step?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Johhnyblaze44, Jan 8, 2013.

1. I have a 4x4x6.5 grow tent set up and ready to go. A 600w lighting kit with an hps bulb/mh bulb, dimable ballast, and light yo-yos/hangers are on its way this week and i bought a digital temperature/humidity gauge already. And i also have a handful of seeds "blue mystic" "wonder women" and "grand doggy purple" hybrid between gdp and Northern lights. So with all that being said whats next? I want to do a soil grow for my first grow but what exactly do i need or whats a good starter setup i can buy? I tried looking for a general guide as to what i need (size of pots, soil, peralite) and all that stuff. I looked up how to germanite the seeds so i understand that its just the nexgt step iv been stuck on the last couple days :( Thanks for all the help and support on the site, im happy to be a member on GC :D

Johhny B :smoking:

2. AC ducting
    400+cfm centrifugal fan
    carbon filter
    oscillating fan

That tent is gonna get way too hot without some cooling equipment

3. For sure. I found a couple kits with a carbon filter, inline fan w speed control, and ducting kits. Isn't that only for flowering? In stuck on which soil or which size pots, which perlite, and nutrients. Is there a helpful thread for starters or anything?

4. Look in beginners, indoor growers, and grow room design sections under the cultivation forum there's books worth of information.

My opinion:

*I like fox farm soil, preferably Happy Frog as it seems much easier on seedlings and doesn't have too many time release ferts. I use it without perlite or amendments personally.

5. Thanks man, that's exactly what I was going to get. I did a bunch of google/youtube/forum searches for soil and fox farm seemed to be the best of the best.

6. i wouldn't say the best of the best, but the best of the beginner/lazy man's soil. It's good right out of the bag and it's pretty idiot proof.

I've never grown organic, but from what I've seen, users seem much happier with their end result and ease of use (as far as feeding goes), but also requires much more knowledge on what to put in the soil and how it will benefit the plant.

7. #7 Johhnyblaze44, Jan 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
    Another question, im going to go with the fox farm soil and nutrients. Which one is the most common or beginner friendly i guess and what would you reccoment for how many plants/size of pots. Is it better to start with 2 or 3 plants or 5 or 6. I have a 4x4 tent to work with :smoking:

http://foxfarmfertilizer.com/frontpage/our-products.html

WHY SO MANY!!! :eek::confused::mad:

8. I think i figured out what im going to get.... Im gong to use fox farm "light warrior" for the seedling stage and then im going to use ocean forest for veg/flower. Will that be all i need as far as growing medium or do i need perlite and nutrients? I seen alot of good things about fox farms "big bloom" "tiger bloom" and "grow big" are those just for the flowering stage? any help would be appreciated

9. #9 Growers_R_Us, Jan 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2013
    [quote name='"Johhnyblaze44"']I think i figured out what im going to get.... Im gong to use fox farm "light warrior" for the seedling stage and then im going to use ocean forest for veg/flower. Will that be all i need as far as growing medium or do i need perlite and nutrients? I seen alot of good things about fox farms "big bloom" "tiger bloom" and "grow big" are those just for the flowering stage? any help would be appreciated[/quote]

That's a good way to do it start ur seeds in light warrior then transplant to ocean forset. FFOF has aprox 3weeks of nutrients in the soil so you don't need to add any more nutrients during the first 3 weeks althought you can just start off quarter stregthen. And the fox farm trio is a good netrient setup for ur first time. I personal use canna and like them a lot and I love the advanced supplement nutrients they have that you can add. Look them up.

Also fox farm ocean forset comes already mixed with perlite in it although u can always add more to it. It comes ready to use. It is a really good beginner soil to use.

10. Thanks man I appreciate it. What size containers/pots would you recommend or how many plants should I do for a beginner? I'll definitely look up those nutes

11. [quote name='"Johhnyblaze44"']Thanks man I appreciate it. What size containers/pots would you recommend or how many plants should I do for a beginner? I'll definitely look up those nutes[/quote]

Depending on if your seeds are fem or reg your going to have to count on some being males. I'm growing in an area a lil bigger then youe area. I'm using 3 gal pots 7 plants, 3 to 4 1/2ft tall. I started off with 11 had 4 males now got 7 girls left. It really depends on how big of plants you want? How much yeild are you expecting? What grow technique(scrog,sog) are you planing on using if u are. I used red solo cups at the beginning first 2 weeks transplanted to 1 1/2 gal pots then 2 weeks before I switched to flower I transplanted in to 3 gal plastic grow bags. 35 cents ech. I would recomend maybe starting off with 8-12 seeds

12. Thanks man, i have all female seeds. I have Blue Mystic, Granddoggy Purple, and a few freebies (purple haze, and 2 others) As far as technics i like the scrog method, seems to be one of the most popular and iv seen great yields. I think im going to do the red solo cups to start out with and transplant them into the 1 1/2 gal pots. Do you have a grow journal i can subscribe 2? :D Thanks again for the help, im going to be picking up some soil tomorrow and hopefully pop these beans this weekend :) What strains are you growing?

13. fox farm seemed to be the best of the best.

Not by a long shot. Fox Farms is made in bulk, uses what I call poor quality ingredients and by being made in bulk, you have absolutely no idea how much of each ingredient is in the soil.

While I understand that mixing your own soil is not for everyone, it will by far give you the very best results if you do want to garden in soil. There are also other companies out there that make much better quality ready-to-grow bagged soil which you may want to look at.

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/988488-ready-grow-bagged-soil.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/1116550-easy-organic-soil-mix-beginners.html

One of the benefits of gardening in a homemade soil is that everything your plants need from start through finish is added to the mix, meaning that once the soil is made you only need to keep it damp with tap water, no mixing or buying nutrients, no checking or adjusting pH, PPM's, whatever - just keep it moist and sit back.

Whatever way you choose, good luck. It's a fun hobby!

14. Thanks, im going to start with fox farm first but i will definitely look at that link, i think its a great hobby and after my first grow i will try different methods, soils or even hydroponics for the challenge . I actually didnt know that homemade soil was all you needed, i thought you had to add nutes and everything still. Iv checked out a few grow journals/threads with organic soil mixes and the possibilities seem to be endless lol Im glad i joined GC tho i learned alot from you guys :D:cool::smoking:

15. I use 2 bags of fox farm ocean and a bail of pro-mix.I mix the 3 bags together and it's a perfect soil for veg and flowering.You def have to pay attention to what's in your soil and what it does.When using that mix I don't use any nutrients for the first week or so.I started with the first stage of fox farm(Grow big,Big bloom and tiger bloom) for the first yr of growing and did really good with them.Oh I also used beastie bloom too.Now I use Sensi grow and Sensi bloom among a few other things.If you use a salt based nutrient make sure to flush with straight water about every 3 feedings or you will end up with root problems.Fox farm also makes a bush doctor line to care for your roots also,I never needed it though.Always check your ph of your feed and run off too.I just purchased a set up very similar to Emily's garden but with 8 pots per table.Gonna be my first hydro setup but I think I might end up switching to a hydro setup totally instead of soil.

16. It is def better to make your own soil if you know what your doing,but like I said my first yr I used fox farm/pro-mix mix and had no problems and everything came out great

17. Take a peek at some pictures in my link below - just giving water as needed.

Welcome to GC.

J

18. I would start your seeds in lil styrofoam cups.Once you see 2-3 nodes(sets of leafs) I put them right into 3-5 gallon pots and right into veg.It all depends on strain too.I always clone but once in awhile ill grab a new strain n go from seed.I never used the fox farm warrior soil for seedling,I use the fox farm ocean and pro mix from seedling to flower.Oh I also mix in sum fox farm happy frog to keep the roots happy.Good luck friend!You can find lots of good info on this forum from Expierenced vets.Any problems ill b more than happy to try n help you out.

19. Na don't got a grow journal yet ill post some pics of a couple of them There 3 weeks n flower lmk wat u think. There all different strains bag seeds I know 2 of them are White Russian train wreck the other 5 couldn't say just some bomb dank enjoy!

Attached Files: