Whats The Difference Between Lobbying And Bribing

Discussion in 'Politics' started by yurigadaisukida, Jun 7, 2013.

1. To me it seems like a technicality the plutocracy uses to maintain power

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Both have been going on since the dawn of time. Today you just have access to it in a fast manner via the internet. Back in the day you could get away with it alot easier. 

Lobbying does serve a purpose if used correctly. The simple act of telling someone in a position of authority that you represent a group of people and here are your issues is lobbying basically. 

If you want it to stop get people involved. Unfortunately and I include myself in that category don't really care anymore. 

3. Dictionary

4. #4 Runningw235, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    Lobbying is essentially trading favors, and not usually money. I'm working in DC right now, and learning all about this.

"Good" lobbyists essentially have a lot of powerful (or people with favors) on speed dial. Company X needs section 31(c) of the upcoming bill to be altered. Hire the the lobbyist, he uses a favor, you pay him. 

That's simplified, but not by a whole lot. It's like extreme networking as a career. Having met a few recently, they are (typically) the biggest dbags you'll ever meet. 

They think they're God's gift to the earth, but in reality aren't nearly as skilled as the lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. they'll openly talk down to. It's seriously sickening to have a conversation with these people...

Edit: Oh, and they're good at stating things VERY implicitly, without directly saying what they mean. That's the most arrogant, disgusting part.

5. One is spelled l-o-b-b-y-I-n-g, and the other is spelled b-r-I-b-e-r-y.
    And that would be about it.

6. #6 Tripace, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013

Sorry, but no. Lobbying is also monetary donations, just in the form of "campaign donations". 
    [​IMG]

My mistake. That is correct. I guess what I meant is that it is a more roundabout way than "I give you $x, you give me x legislation.

Professional smooge.

8. Just two examples off the top of my head.

People lobbied against SOPA with letters and phone calls.
    People lobbied against Jim Crow legislation.

While both lobbying and bribing are the attempt to influence someone's (politician's) behavior, money and/or gifts is not necessary to lobby.

9. haha. it's all quizzical

10. Lobbying is trying to get people to support the group or cause you represent by usually verbal conversation. Bribing, is paying someone to support your group or cause. The former being legal and the latter being illegal.

11. Lobbying is when you hang around at hotel desk. But I am an idiot. I don't know what I am talking about. Plutocracy is when you want to make the entire planet of Pluto an democracy. But as I said before, I am an idiot. I don't know what I am talking about.

12. Lobbying is when you hang around at hotel desk. But I am an idiot. I don't know what I am talking about. Plutocracy is when you want to make the entire planet of Pluto an democracy. But as I said before, I am an idiot. I don't know what I am talking about.
    </blockquote>Don't be so hard on yourself :)

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app