What's the difference between Cult and Religion?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by BongBreaker6, Oct 11, 2011.

1. #1 BongBreaker6, Oct 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
    So this latest talk in the GOP race is about how Mitt Romney is in a "cult" because he's a Mormon...and that's coming from Evangelical Christians. How can that be? What distinguishes Mormonism as a cult while Catholicism, Southern Baptist, Evangelical are religions?

How are Christianity or Judaism any different from Scientology, Aum Shinrikyo, Church Universal & Triumphant and Heaven's Gate?

What makes one crazy set of superstitions more legimitate than another?

2. number of brainwashed

3. The history of ideas

4. There is no difference.

Religion is just socially accepted for whatever reason....

5. Mormons believe in magical underwear that protect them from knives, guns, fire, and the devil.

Enough said.

6. christians believe a man walked on water, died, and became a zombie with flesh made of crackers and blood of wine. and if they dont accept him as their master, no questions asked, they burn in the middle of the earth for eternity

7. I am an atheist, so thanks for that :rolleyes:

8. First off all, you didn't even read the bible as he did not become a "zombie" he returned spiritually and revealed himself to a select group of people. And only the Catholics take the Eucharist, not every christian.

If you want to try to slander a religion, at least know about it before you do.

9. To slander something is to make false and damaging statements about it so he's actually doing a good job.

10. Yeah he was, but the sad thing is he actually thought he was offending me when any other christian could see it and laugh at how wrong he is.

11. And yet what he posted really isn't any more ridiculous than some of the things asserted by Christianity anyway.

12. true, true :cool:

13. you must be a shitty mind reader, i dont go to offend, if someone becomes offended by what i say well thats their fault.

14. I am no mind reader, you made the implication that I was a christian mocking mormonism, which is a denomination of christianity, when in fact I was stating a "cult" quality. Then you went with your assumption I was a christian and used a basic collection of misunderstandings to try and insult me with.

:wave:

15. If jesus was a zombie, I would have found the bible and church school fun and entertaining! Turn into a comic book and I might find a piece of faith again

:)

[​IMG]

AND, I think Mormons are OK! It's cool how a couple guys will show up at your door in white shirts and ties and have a reading session at your house!

[​IMG]

16. i used christianity because thats what the story is about, christians calling mormonism a cult. i could care less about anyones religion til they shove it in faces.

17. Zero Legitimacy; Nada.

Look no further than your keyboard - Computer Science, not Computer Religion, made instantaneous response to a ridiculous issue like this one possible on a massive interconnected global network of user input.

18. The difference is "cult" has four letters and "religion" has eight.

19. There is no difference; it's just that the word cult has a negative connotation. The most important statement made by Pastor Jeffers is this:
    Romney Not a Christian | Slog

I don't remember Jesus saying anything like that; I thought he said love your neighbor as yourself.