Whats the difference between and ash catcher, and a pre cooler?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by kliff2004, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Im a little confused on this concept here.

A pre-cooler uses water to cool off the smoke before you inhale. it also catches any ash from the bowl with that water.

An ash catcher, uses water to catch ash before it enters your piece to help keep it clean, that water also cools the smoke before you inhaled.

Am I missing something here? I think I just described the exact same thing two times in a row, but used two different nouns to make them seem like they are different.

2. I've always kind of thought the same thing... I don't see a difference

3. Yeah I always thought they were kind of the exact same thing XD

4. Most that I've seen have inline diffusers, something that you don't see in an ash catcher.

5. Aight this i can actually agree with.

And Inline diffuser by no means is meant to catch ash. As it just gets clogged and then people go "wtf"

And by this rational, it would seem that a pre-cooler is not ment to catch ash because it would get clogged.

..........I guess this does make sense. But I guess IM happier with my diffuser down stem in my pre-cooler with a screen on it.

6. There really ins't much of a difference that i can think of other then an ash catcher doesn't HAVE to use water, whereas a pre cooler pretty much does.

7. Ash-catcher and Pre-cooler are pretty much the exact same thing. There's nothing that really makes one different than they other. It's just different names for the same thing.

8. Precooler = shitty ashcather
    There's a HUGE difference, peace.

9. My friends Tsunami came with an ashcatcher which was not meant to be used with water, but was really great because it sure kept that piece cleeeean.