What's the deal?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by Sublime, Oct 26, 2017.

1. My computer should be beef. But it's overheating. I have full tower, brand new 850W gold rated power supply, fans are absolutely blowing out hot air, I feel it, and they're on the highest setting. I have over 4 fans, 3 small and 1 giant one.

I have an AMD FX 4300 3.8 GHz Quad Core processor, and an NVidia Geforce 960 GTX graphics card (with 2 fans, which work). I have 12GB of heat sync Corsair Vengeance RAM. What's causing the overheating? The only thing left I felt I haven't tried is reapplying thermal paste to the CPU since it seems to be mostly heat coming from there.

A game will run smooth, for example, until it starts getting heated up like this which doesn't take long usually.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I just left them in as they came from the package. It's a Thermaltake Chase full tower I believe.

Though I am beginning to think thermal paste....

3. Easiest way to apply thermal past is directly on the cup and then pop on the heatsink on. As far as heatsink compound goes, thinner is better. Like hair thickness thin.

Water cooling is cheap and reliable now a days. My I7 7930 runs at 15*F above room temp at full load. It was an all in on kit, fully assembled and ready to bolt on. Just be sure the cooling lines are long enough to put the radiator in just the right spot.

Most motherboards come with software monitoring of all sorts of crap, including cpu temps, both inner die temp and outer die surface temp for your cpu.

As far as fans go, intake AND exhaust needs to be adjusted. I have 6 fans in my tower and I had to set then as 4 intake and 2 exhaust. Pulled in from the front and side of the case and exhauting out the back above my PSU.

You could also add another fan to the air cooler for your cpu. One pulls air and one pushes air. You could use a rubber band at first to hold the second fan on the heatsink just so you can see if it has any effect.

Having a side case fan pulling in fresh air to feed directly to the cpu cooler could help. Hope you figure it out broski

• Like Like x 1