Whats the deal with molasses?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by jmsland, Aug 19, 2013.

1. I have noticed that a lot of people use it for their growth. How does it benefit the plant and also at what stage do you start feeling it? Do you feed it every watering time and how much per gallon. My plants are doing great so I don't want to screw anything up but on the same note I am very tempted to use it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. #2 Shiva Blaster, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2013
    It is only a benefit if you are growing organically and have a living soil.   If you are using bottled nutes, than there are no microbes present in your soil to break down the molasses for the plant to use.    Plants can't process molasses on their own. 

3. Thank you for your reply. I use fox farms which is organic but I'm not sure about living soil so I'm assuming that there will be no benefit to molasses....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. i wouldnt worry about using molasses with ff nutes, they say organic but there isnt much benifit from it to the soil.. its plant ready food so thats all you really need.  molasses feeds the micro organisms in your soil, if you are going fully organic.   the thing is, is with organic growing you have plant food in your soil(usually self mixed soils) but its not easily absorbed by the plant on its own.. by feeding the soil aerated compost teas, made from guano's worm castings or humus, it adds tons of microbial life to your soil.  once the life is in the soil and is thriving you have to keep the soil fed, for example by using molasses.  this keeps the microbial life thriving and they break down all the "goodies" in your soil and will feed the plant what they need, by only using water, and occasionally some molasses or more aerated compost teas.  hope that gives a better idea of why people use molasses. :)

5. Shiva' & Panda'... well put.