Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

what's the deal with chillums?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by stoned_soldier, Sep 9, 2004.

1. i ask of ye seasoned tokers to answer me what's the deal with chillum? are they like one hitters or do you fill it t othe end like a glass joint? i'm thinking of investing in a glass chillum to make it my travelling piece but i need to know how they work.. i heard they have stone filters or something, or what filters the weed? thanks.

2. nothing filters the weed. you just pack it into the end which has a bowl you hold it up light and suck in. its like hitting a pipe that happens to be straight.

3. A glass or stone chillum is simply the best way to smoke. Glass chillums usually have a bowl at the top, which is what you'll most likely want to go with. You'll not need a screen if the hole is small enough, obviously. A small amount of Cannabis is packed into the end and lit for at least 2 seconds, no matter the moisture level of the Cannabis. Doing that, combined with fully exhaling before taking the 'hit' and using your lungs to quickly draw in the smoke ensures a powerful stream of smoke - more than likely, more than you might be able to handle being new to the Chillum technique. There are a few other methods (this one is pretty brief), and if you'd like - I'd gladly expand on these.

4. Well, I have a few chillums, and I'd never put weed in them like you would a pipe. As far as I know you just stick your joint in the end. It eliminates the need for a clip, and keeps the end of the joint from getting all slobbered up. Of course some people still just slobber up the chillum, but you can wipe that off easily enough. Keep in mind it could be that I have just been misusing them for the last 20 something years, or there is some new kind I don't know about. Here's a few pics of one of mine.
    • pic1, the end you hit
    • pic2, the end you put the joint in
    • pic3 the whole thing

Attached Files:

5. Actually, that's not a chillum at all.

[​IMG]

These, are chillums.

6. I have a few shaped like that as well, and as far as I know they serve exactly the same purpose as the one in my pics.

7. Eh, well, they might serve that for you, and all the more power to you, sir. However, traditionally, these are used for smoking Cannabis straight out of them, as the Sadhus hae done for many hundreds of centuries.

8. Yup, those are chillums as I know them too. I have a buddy that smokes out of them all the time. For him it involves cupping your hand like a fist with the chillium sticking between your fingers and sucking the smoke from the side of your fist, from the thumb and index finger side. I've also seen him cup it with both hands. I'm :smoking: now and it's a little hard to explain, but if you get it right it hits pretty crazy.

9. Right, that's the traditional method - Slowly hit this with the force of the suction from your clasped hands until your lungs are full - this is the way.

[​IMG]

10. Bingo, my friend's technique is identical to that picture. I think it's a more unique method of smoking, and partake with him every now and again.

11. i gott a nice little ccg chillum i'll post it tommarow its coming out nicely, turning blue from yellow

12. I've heard of and used the hand cupping thing too, I've just never done it with straight weed. You can even do that without the chillum, just put a joint/pipe between your fingers, learned that from a HIV positive guy who figured people wouldn't want to smoke after him. The one in my pic is the first kind I ever saw, and when I saw the other kind later on I just used it the same way, with a joint. Like i said in my first post, "Keep in mind it could be that I have just been misusing them for the last 20 something years", apparently this is the case. Your never too old to learn. :smoke:

13. How does that hand thingy work?

14. look at the picture and figure it out, its not too hard, there's no set in stone way to do it either.

15. i've seen ones from India, that are like a long cylinder, smaller at one end, and bigger at the other..........the big end is covered with a cloth of some sort, it may have been wet.........and then the weed placed in it, and the excess cloth held with one hand, and and then burned into your lungs with the other...............kinda like covering an empty toilet roll, and smoking with your head facing skywards................it looked to ba about 200 to 300mm long.............Peace out........Sid

16. Alright, here's how to smoke the chillum in the traditional palmed sense, as shown in the pictures, and as is being discussed. You'll first need to place the chillum between your index and middle fingers on your non-dominant hand with only about .5 inches of the 'mouth' end of it sticking through to the underside of your palm. Now, you'll want to touch the fingertip of your index finger to the tip of your thumb on that same hand - thus forming a circle. Next, take your other hand and cover the 'bottom' of the circle (which would be near the other hand's pinkee finger) with its palm. The whole point of this method is the extreme draw of smoke you'll recieve as the product of suction, so , you'll want to keep your hands completely cupped to do so. However, there is still one spot of air left even after the hands have been cupped - the width between your non-dominant (the chillum-holding) hand's index and middle finger created by the chillum. To cover this, simply place the index finger of your other hand (the non-chillum holding) over that gap tightly to ensure no air leaks in. Now that your hands are completely air-tight, you'll next need to place your mouth on the circle you've formed and draw in the smoke. If this is the first time you've tried this method, I'd reccomend doing so with an empty chillum. If it is empty, you can tell you're doing it correctly if you hear a bit of a whistle from the suction of your breath intake in an obviously vacant tube. If you hear or feel any air getting in, simply re-adjust your palming technique to compensate. However, if done correctly, you will achieve the simply greatest method of swallowing your lovely Cannabis smoke.

17. ohh cool.. i tried that suction cupping technique with a pen and it's freakin' wicked.. so much air can be pulled.. it's like an attachment to the joint, sorta like a bong chamber.. hahaahah..

18. ^^^^^^yeah we used to do that with a J...........you get a real good hit............Peace out.........Sid

19. my friend has a chillum kind of like this one

[​IMG]

his chillum is just way wider, starts at about 1 inch wide where u hit it and gets to about 5 inches wide where the bowl is

I think they are super fun to hit as long as ur not super blazed and spill the bowl

20. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^^ my new headie chillum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

^^ my older chillum.

both are great and make smoking on the go easy.:smoking: