What's the both-safe&fast-enough speed on the highway?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by GGrass, Jan 14, 2010.

1. The cops here pull you over for no reason. They just pull you over. And they don't let you go until you give them money. Like... 7 US Dollars.

Go easy on the cops... they're just being what they are... cops.

It's definitely safer for me to drive on weed, than sober.

When I'm sober, I get pissed off so easily at idiot drivers, I often go into road rage.

But when I'm stoned, everything is cool.

2. ^^ Dude above on the GSXR, don't suppose you did it long enough to record a MPG?

On my 03 GSXR1000 through the Columbia gorge in WA at 120-130 average and I got 38 MPG...

Normally I do around 75 though.

3. #24 DrGr33nThumb215, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010
    all i know is on my GSX-R 1k with a full tank about 4 gallons at full throttle i get about 25-30mpg at 150 mph and can ditch the cops for about a 100 miles though i would never do a thing like that lol ..... wink wink gotta love the way a 1000cc can pull away from a crown vick gone in under 10 flat

when i put my 08 gsx-r 1000 on C mode (they have this mode selectos where you can cut the power back).....by changing the fuel mapping and timing retard in C mode which is equvilant to a 600cc B mode = 750cc and A mode is full 1000cc mode i can get about 55 mph cruising at 80 mph in 6th gear on the freeway in C mode but the bikes gutless like in that mode but great for road trips or in the rain ( i enjoy rain riding more of a rush having that tire break loose in 3rd at 100+ ) or when you let your friend take your bike for a spin even though you should never let anyone ride your bike i learned that the hard way i let my friend that had a 06 636 ninja ride my 04 matt mladin 1000cc and he totaled in the twisties in about 2 minutes flat had road rash on 60 percent of his body and ground down his big toe needless to say he never rode again and never paid me for the bike ........ but i did aquire a 636 .....oh well you live any you learn ....it funny that the video you posted was from the speed channel lol :hello:

4. I have a hot rod, so it sucks up gas anyways. But, I always do the speed limit for the simple fact that I don't wanna deal with the cops...at all. :wave:

I'm 41 years old and have never gotten a ticket :hello:

(knocks on wood)

:p

5. about 70-75mph is ideal for gas mileage in my Chrysler Concord

but theres nothing wrong with going 140mph ever now and then

6. ^ wise words from a wise man. 21 now, i'd like to still toke and be at your status at your age =)

better safer than sorry!

7. Don't you mean that it has short gears? Tall gears are for speed, short are more torque

8. all lanes in the unrestricted parts are allowed to go as fast as possible, but the left lane is for the faster traffic and the right is for you to get over if you are the slower car, or stay over if you know you're slow. They have all kinds of special rules, like for example, you can only go as fast as your tires are rated for.

I've come back with more useful insight this time. During rush hours, maybe 55-60 (old people still drive in the mornings). During off hours during the day ( think lunch time or when most people are working), up to 80. Late hours, around 10pm-5am, see autobahn.

9. I'm gonna say that anything over 65 your wasting gas unless you have a super aerodynamic car. The time you save by going faster is countered almsot doubly by what you lose from drag. We did a experiment on a mustang forum lol

If you're talking about whats just safe to drive on the freeway i usually ride around 80 to keep up with traffic and go 90-100 if it's open road.

10. Yeah... another thing I'm curious about... the efficiency....

AT what speed, is it most efficient?

I would think it's different for different cars... My car, a CRV has terrible aerodynamics. It hits a wall of air at only 90 km/hr... anything beyond that, I'm losing a lot of fuel to the drag.